Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Speakers? Give me your thoughts..

Old 09-18-2010, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Question Speakers? Give me your thoughts..

My speakers in my 98 XJ sport, are not very good. They are an off-brand best buy speaker... (Trust me I bought it used.. lol) So I was wondering what size speaker they are. I'm pretty sure they are a 6.5" speaker, but I'm not sure if they are just circle speakers or not. Also, I was wondering what brand you would recommend replacing them with. Give me your thoughts.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:35 PM

Year: 1999

My 99, will fit 6.5's all around. I got some decent pioneers at walmart for $40 a pair they sound pretty good better than I expected for the price. You get what you pay for, better speakers can be a lot more.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by TWillGOLF
My 99, will fit 6.5's all around. I got some decent pioneers at walmart for $40 a pair they sound pretty good better than I expected for the price. You get what you pay for, better speakers can be a lot more.
Thanks for your input! I will take the pioneers into some consideration. I was either thinking pioneer or kicker.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:56 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97

Mine were like 5 1/4 and if you have the sound bar you might be able to cut it to fit 6 1/2s but I didn't bother trying.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

what i did.... took some house speakers. ripped apart the wooden housing. they were 3" or something like that. i wanted to run doorless and have music. soo.... i put those little 3" in that runner under the steering wheel where you knees are at. there are little "vent" looking things, i thought they were for a/c or heat but there was nothing running to it so i rigged the speakers there. then cut holes for the tweeters. its redneck as it can get cuz its all nasty cut and there are bolts sticking out but they work great and i have music when i run doorless.. just my idea. it was free and practical.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by krawlthis
what i did.... took some house speakers. ripped apart the wooden housing. they were 3" or something like that. i wanted to run doorless and have music. soo.... i put those little 3" in that runner under the steering wheel where you knees are at. there are little "vent" looking things, i thought they were for a/c or heat but there was nothing running to it so i rigged the speakers there. then cut holes for the tweeters. its redneck as it can get cuz its all nasty cut and there are bolts sticking out but they work great and i have music when i run doorless.. just my idea. it was free and practical.
You, my friend...are my HERO!
Old 09-18-2010, 10:24 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

My other hobby is collecting vintage audio equipment and speakers are the hardest part of any sound system to choose. Specs, materials, brands, and other peoples opinions are pretty much meaningless. Obviously you have to choose from speakers that will fit, but beyond that you have to listen to all the speakers you can find and the ones that sound best to you are the best speakers for you. All speakers sound different,and opinions on what sounds "good" are also a very individual thing.When shopping for speakers bring along the type of music you listen to so you can hear what the various speakers sound like with the music you will be playing. There are dramatic differences in how different speakers sound so if you are really into your tunes time and effort spent choosing the right speakers will be well spent.

Good Luck
Old 09-19-2010, 12:55 AM

Since I'm sure your XJ is like most other XJ's, mine included... they're not exactly made for high quality sound. What with all the rattles and bangs and whatnot. I just put a set of 5.25" pioneers in the front to replace the blown stockers. They were 40 bucks at walmart, and I couldn't be happier with how they sound.

I can't tell you how to spend your money, but realize that in these vehicles, there comes a point when real world sound quality and price no longer raise at the same rate.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:35 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Infiniti 6022i 6.5s in my '92 XJs doors and added soundbar. I also put 6.5s in my '99s front doors.

I picked up 2 sets of the Infinity 6022i's on eBay for the same price as ONE set at Best Buy and MAN do they ROCK. Had em for about 2 years now and they still hit hard.

Look into them.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:46 AM
CF Veteran

Ive had both Infiniti and Sony xPlod speakers. both are great and sound good. no copmlaints with either.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: '96 4.0

Originally Posted by krawlthis
That little runner has tweeters in it in the higher end Sub-models. My laredo had them in there and I tried that for a while and it was alright. I installed 2 soundbars in my cherokee and love it. It is hella f***ing loud being right above your head.

My speaker of choice is an MTX 5.25" They have good bass and are super durable. I listen to tons of digital bass with my system and these speakers don't even crackle. I've beat these speakers for the last 3 years with NO problems. They run $42/pair online. If anyone wants the model number I will pull the speaker real quick(like 2 minutes) and get the model number.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:40 AM

Engine: 4.0

I just put 4 5.25" sony Xplods in my 99 and I think they sound pretty good,walmart had them on sale for 38.00 a pair.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:00 AM

Engine: 242/4.0 I6

My '98 already had an Alpine head unit, Alpine amp, and 4 Alpine speakers installed in it. It sounded pretty good except for lacking a little in the bass dept. so I added a powered sub from Fry's.
It's the 1st time I've ever had Alpine. I like very much.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by diskman
Infiniti 6022i 6.5s in my '92 XJs doors and added soundbar. I also put 6.5s in my '99s front doors.

I picked up 2 sets of the Infinity 6022i's on eBay for the same price as ONE set at Best Buy and MAN do they ROCK. Had em for about 2 years now and they still hit hard.

Look into them.
Thanks, I just ordered some Infinity 6032Si 6.5's from ebay. I got em' both for the same price as one!
Old 09-19-2010, 10:52 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 Liter Inline

uhhh.... i just bought a pair of speakers for the rear of my Jeep Cherokee Sport and they are AWESOME. Quantum FTW

...picture bellow with measurements
Attached Thumbnails Speakers? Give me your thoughts..-100_1185.jpg  
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speakers? Give me your thoughts..