Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Speaker wiring for 2 more speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L High Output
Default Speaker wiring for 2 more speakers?

I want to add 2 more speakers. I already have the front door speakers and the rear sound bar. Now i know i had a thread about this before. But im still cornfused...

I have a second sound bar. I put it behind the front seats. So. Id like alittle explaining done for me. If i wire it up to run off the sound bar in the rear. Will the sound quality go down the latrine?

If i get an amp (found a 3 channel for $25 ) would i get a LOC for the front and the rear and just run the front sound bar (the 1 behind the front seats) to the head unit?
Old 03-26-2012, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.7 Hesco stroker

You can simply "daisy chain" the new sound bar to your current one. Sound quality won't suffer but your headunit will now see a 2 ohm load instead of a 4 ohm load, which will make it overwork/heat up/eventually die. Now, that amp should be able to handle a 2 ohm load so you could run all 4 speakers off the 2 channel section of the amp and have the third channel for a subwoofer.

I'd leave the fronts powered by the radio, as is....the loc will go to the rear speaker outputs of the radio and all four sound bar wires now go to the two channel section of the amp.

Last edited by DIRTDOGXJ; 03-26-2012 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 03-26-2012, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by DIRTDOGXJ
You can simply "daisy chain" the new sound bar to your current one. Sound quality won't suffer but your headunit will now see a 2 ohm load instead of a 4 ohm load, which will make it overwork/heat up/eventually die. Now, that amp should be able to handle a 2 ohm load so you could run all 4 speakers off the 2 channel section of the amp and have the third channel for a subwoofer.

I'd leave the fronts powered by the radio, as is....the loc will go to the rear speaker outputs of the radio and all four sound bar wires now go to the two channel section of the amp.
Head units kinda cruddy any way... So run the LOC to only do the rear? And if i daisy chain the 2 sound bars together then i can run that through the amp with 2 of the channels? Am i getting this right?
Old 03-26-2012, 02:43 PM

How to i daisy chain it? Im going to most likely have to upgrade the head unit eventually. But to be honest. Im not sure how to do that....
Old 03-26-2012, 03:25 PM

Take the two left soundbar speakers and connect the positive and negative terminals together via speaker wire. Do the same with the right two soundbar speakers. Now run two pairs of speaker wires, one for the left(front and rear), one for the right(front and rear). You can tie the loc in behind he radio or at the original soundbar, whichever is easier for you(this is wired to the original rear speaker wires, do not hook them back up to the speakers, to the loc only) The loc now gives you rca outputs to run the amp.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:26 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

So instead of running in parallel what if I ran the speakers in series? That'd result in an 8ohm load, what'll be the results of that?
Old 03-26-2012, 05:43 PM

Take the two left soundbar speakers and connect the positive and negative terminals together via speaker wire. Do the same with the right two soundbar speakers. Now run two pairs of speaker wires, one for the left(front and rear), one for the right(front and rear). You can tie the loc in behind he radio or at the original soundbar, whichever is easier for you(this is wired to the original rear speaker wires, do not hook them back up to the speakers, to the loc only) The loc now gives you rca outputs to run the amp.
Ok so i should solder the wires together or what would be a good way to do it? And for the LOC both the sound bars would connected to it and then to the amp?
Old 03-26-2012, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Axel1831
Ok so i should solder the wires together or what would be a good way to do it? And for the LOC both the sound bars would connected to it and then to the amp?
Spade terminal connectors will work just fine. The loc will only connect to the rear output of the radio, not the speaker's. The rcas from the loc go to the amp. The soundbar speaker wires only go to the amp, not the loc.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Dan91
So instead of running in parallel what if I ran the speakers in series? That'd result in an 8ohm load, what'll be the results of that?
An 8 ohm load won't overwork the radio output but will result in degraded sound.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:52 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

I'm no expert on sound systems.. don't even know what the LOC you mentioned is. I DO know that when adding speakers your goal is to match the impedence. If your original system is say, 8 ohms, the speakers will be wired in series or parallel to match the system. Two 8 ohm speakers in parallel = 4 ohms.. in series = 16 ohms. So it's the combination of all the speakers however connected to equal the impedence of the system.
*From your post it sounds (no pun) as if you want to piggyback the 'soundbars'? So, hooking them in parallel halves the impedence, in series doubles it. Either way will affect the resulting sound quality.
*Also, pay particular attention to the polarity of the speakers them selves.. if they're not correct they'll be out of phase, and that affects sound quality as well.
*Sorry for the 'not much help' reply, but my memory is swiss cheese.. I used to know this stuff.