Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Spare key

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 10:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: HO4.0 I6
Default Spare key

So long story short I left my keys somewhere and tried using my spare key to open/start my car. I used the key to unlock the door and it opened, however the alarm sounded? and the car wouldn't start. I did use my keyless entry thingy to lock it up when i left it. but shouldn't it still be able to open it up with just the key? Is this normal with most security locks?
Old 03-01-2011, 10:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Why are you asking about a car on a jeep forum?
/sarcasm..

IIRC, if you unlock it from the passengers side and then unlock the doors with the button, you wouldnt have that problem. But dont quote me, I dont have an alarm.
Old 03-01-2011, 10:44 PM

It's worth a shot.

haha And I was talking about my Jeep. Please don't shun me for miss-spelling Jeep so badly. I swear it will never happen again!
Old 03-01-2011, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 316

i dont have a key for mine and the alarm will sound. heres what you do, unlock the back hatch first, then unlock your drivers door and it wont go off and should just start right up. give it a try and let me know if it works.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

Because you locked your Jeep with the keyless remote, it activated the alarm system, and when you unlocked it with the manual key, it sounded because the key does nothing with the alarm because it is not the keyhole that is alarmed, but the electric motor inside the door which can only be disarmed by the keyless remote(to my knowledge). And to answer your question about why it wouldnt start, when people lock their keys in the car, they call a lock smith and can have them make a key that only unlocks and locks the vehicle, this is so they can safely leave the key somewhere on the car incase it happens again, and if someone else found it, it would unlock but not start. This is probably what you have, unless you specifically had the key made, then who ever made it messed up. I do not know how to unlock the car without the alarm, but I think the passenger side idea should work.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by brendancfarrell
Because you locked your Jeep with the keyless remote, it activated the alarm system, and when you unlocked it with the manual key, it sounded because the key does nothing with the alarm because it is not the keyhole that is alarmed, but the electric motor inside the door which can only be disarmed by the keyless remote(to my knowledge). And to answer your question about why it wouldnt start, when people lock their keys in the car, they call a lock smith and can have them make a key that only unlocks and locks the vehicle, this is so they can safely leave the key somewhere on the car incase it happens again, and if someone else found it, it would unlock but not start. This is probably what you have, unless you specifically had the key made, then who ever made it messed up. I do not know how to unlock the car without the alarm, but I think the passenger side idea should work.
Well for my example I just said a spare key. If I had my regular key on me I'm sure everyone and their brother would say why didn't you just use your remote? But it doesn't start regardless of what key I use when I lock it with the remote. I plan on testing out both theories in the morning, the hatch and the passanger door. Although if the side door works no need for trying to use the hatch... unless you like climbing over seats
Old 03-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by xj guy
Well for my example I just said a spare key. If I had my regular key on me I'm sure everyone and their brother would say why didn't you just use your remote? But it doesn't start regardless of what key I use when I lock it with the remote. I plan on testing out both theories in the morning, the hatch and the passanger door. Although if the side door works no need for trying to use the hatch... unless you like climbing over seats
I didnt say you had the regular key bro, I said a key that was made after the fact, just a plain jane cut key, and as for the not starting when locked with the remote,its gotta be another "safety" option on the security system
Old 03-02-2011, 07:25 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 316

im not saying you have to climb over seats. Im saying my jeep has an alarm system on it and the only way to unlock to doors with out the alarm sounding is to use the Key Fob. and since I dont have one, I have to turn the key to the right on the back hatch(unlocking it), then unlock my drivers side door from the outside, using the key and the alarm doesnt sound and my jeep starts right up.....no climbing over seats
Old 03-02-2011, 08:15 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0l inline 6

Do you have a fob(remote) on the key chain with the key? Or is the fob (remote) part of the key?

I have a 2000 Cherokee and had to get keys made (son tossed them in the trash and of course we didnt notice untill after trash guy came) and the locksmith asked me if I had a coded key. He told me 2000-2001 Cherokees witk alarm syestems had coded keys (micro chip stuff in the key) that let the alrm syestem know the right key/person is trying to start the jeep.

If thats the case you will need your vin and proff of ownership. Go to a locksmith and he can make you a new key (coded) in a few min.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by 94.Red.Grand.5.2Lt
im not saying you have to climb over seats. Im saying my jeep has an alarm system on it and the only way to unlock to doors with out the alarm sounding is to use the Key Fob. and since I dont have one, I have to turn the key to the right on the back hatch(unlocking it), then unlock my drivers side door from the outside, using the key and the alarm doesnt sound and my jeep starts right up.....no climbing over seats
Oh, misunderstanding on my part. I interpreted it as just unlock the back hatch and crawl over to hit the door unlock button. But now that you said that it makes sense.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:42 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0l inline 6

keep us posted on your situation and if the suggestions work for you. It will give us all information to use later if this happens to us.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by wildspear
Do you have a fob(remote) on the key chain with the key? Or is the fob (remote) part of the key?

I have a 2000 Cherokee and had to get keys made (son tossed them in the trash and of course we didnt notice untill after trash guy came) and the locksmith asked me if I had a coded key. He told me 2000-2001 Cherokees witk alarm syestems had coded keys (micro chip stuff in the key) that let the alrm syestem know the right key/person is trying to start the jeep.

If thats the case you will need your vin and proff of ownership. Go to a locksmith and he can make you a new key (coded) in a few min.
I have a remote on the key chain, not in my key. And I don't believe that it has a chip in the key itself as mine is only a 96. But I would imagine if it did have a chip in it that the system would recognize the key, but it doesn't.

When I leave for work I am going to test the other doors like everyone suggested and then I'll post when I get a chance.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:04 AM

Year: 99 sport
Engine: 4.0 i6

just close the driver side door.

Lock the driver side and unlock it with the key while the door is closed. This should disable the alarm and it should start right up.

let me know if this works for you, it works for me.

on the cherokee and the xterra.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:15 AM
Seasoned Member

I have a remote on the key chain, not in my key. And I don't believe that it has a chip in the key itself as mine is only a 96. But I would imagine if it did have a chip in it that the system would recognize the key, but it doesn't.

When I leave for work I am going to test the other doors like everyone suggested and then I'll post when I get a chance.
99 and lower had non coded keys, so you don't have to worry about that. And I did a little research, for a new keyless remote it will cost you around $90-$110, depending on the dealership and a key will cost about $15. hopefully these tricks help you out so you don't have to drop some major cash on this.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by brendancfarrell

99 and lower had non coded keys, so you don't have to worry about that. And I did a little research, for a new keyless remote it will cost you around $90-$110, depending on the dealership and a key will cost about $15. hopefully these tricks help you out so you don't have to drop some major cash on this.
Phew! Alright thanks man. I'm going to test these out in a bit here. I work at 11 so won't be much longer for the suspense

Quick Reply: Spare key