Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Sounds like a mass sparrow killing

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 01:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Sounds like a mass sparrow killing

My XJ developed a squeak Sunday night that sounds like there is a mass sparrow torture chamber under it.

I did some research and the majority of the responses said front driveshaft joints were dry so I removed the front driveshaft. Sound still exists. Jacked up the rear of the XJ and put it in gear, sound happens when front wheels are not turning, so I have pretty much narrowed it down to the t-case or rear u-joints. Sound stops completely, even when it is the loudest, when I put it in neutral.

Has anyone had this problem? If it's the t-case I have another one, so no real problem there, I just hate to tear it apart and it be something else.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:45 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Sooo is there oil in the transfer case?
Old 08-27-2013, 07:53 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1993

T-case would still be spinning when he puts it in neutral and the wheels are still spinning.

Maybe just since there's not a load on it. I suppose it could still be joints or t-case.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:32 PM

I bought the input and rear output seal for my extra t-case. going to swap it in after work tomorrow. If that doesn't fix it, then I guess it's either the transmission, rearend, of driveshaft joints. I have new driveshaft u-joints that I have had since April when we went on a road trip, bought them just in case shibby hit the fan 150 miles from home on the interstate with no cell reception since the joints are likely the original 150+k mile joints. May go ahead and throw the new joints in while I have the shaft out.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

"Sound stops completely, even when it is the loudest, when I put it in neutral."
Even with the drivetrain still rotating?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:28 PM

yes, if I am driving down the road and it starts making this noise, I can pop it in neutral and the noise ends instantly. As soon as I pop it back in drive, the sound comes back. I can rev it up in neutral and it will not make the sound. With that said, I know it is something behind the torque converter because it is always spinning.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by salad
Sooo is there oil in the transfer case?

I'm going to say that it is somewhere between empty and 1/2 a quart. I don't want to drain it and put fluid in it since there is a good chance it is F.U.B.A.R. I pulled the fill plug out and can stick my pinky in there and not touch fluid, but when I started pulling the drain plug, fluid started coming out.

When I put the 8.25 in back in April, I drained the t-case and filled it with fresh fluid, so it's not like I don't keep tabs on things. I never saw a drop of fluid on the driveway and the underside of my XJ is not oily, so I do not know where the fluid went
Old 08-28-2013, 03:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had similar problem on my YJ a while ago...chased it for months...replaced driveshaft u-joints front and rear...no help...drained and refilled t-case with ATF...no help...drained t-case again and refilled with Amsoil synthetic ATF...sound went away and has not returned in several years...???
Old 08-28-2013, 06:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by DougyFresh
I'm going to say that it is somewhere between empty and 1/2 a quart. I don't want to drain it and put fluid in it since there is a good chance it is F.U.B.A.R.
So how hard is it to just put some fluid in there and see if the sound goes away....Its a no brainer..
Old 08-28-2013, 07:55 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Originally Posted by DougyFresh
I'm going to say that it is somewhere between empty and 1/2 a quart. I don't want to drain it and put fluid in it since there is a good chance it is F.U.B.A.R.
If you ran it without fluid for that long, probably. If you continue to, definitely. A liter/quart of ATF is like $5.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:45 PM

well, I felt like crap after work yesterday (ear injection was/is kicking my ****) and didn't mess with it. But I was off today so I bit the bullet and crawled up underneath it. I pulled the rear driveshaft out and then started it and put it in gear. I ran it up to about 75mph and there was no funny sounds or shakes...

Filled the t-case up with fluid and went to put the shaft back in and the rearmost joint had so much slop I LOL'ed at myself for not finding it sooner. One cap was busted where the seal goes on, had no needles, and had no grease. The opposite cap was also cracked where the seal goes, the needles were broken into 1/8" long pieces, and there was no grease in it. I don't know how I never saw any movement when trying to shake the shaft, but now the joints have both been replaced.

Haven't took it for a drive yet, got both kids and don't feel like getting them ready to go for just a lap around the block. BUT, the clunk that it had when shifting from drive to reverse is gone and it feels good. Hopefully the problem this thread is about is solved.