Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Sound bar removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O. inline six
Default Sound bar removal

Searched the threads but couldn't find anything directly dealing with my problem. Which is, How to remove rear sound bar so I can replace the speakers. 96 xj sport. Has two speakers on the outside and a cargo light in the middle. I'm having a heck of a time getting the thing off without breaking something. Does anyone have tips on how to remove?
Old 04-30-2012, 11:46 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

2 screws on either side to remove the metal trim pieces (so 4 screws total). Then pop off the light cover and you'll see that there is 2 thin metal pole looking things with a type of retaining washer on both (yeah, I don't know the real name haha). But anyways, I just pushed up on the sound bar to create some space between those retaining washers and the light fixture and stuck some needle nose pliers in there and wiggled little by little.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: HO4.0 I6

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
2 screws on either side to remove the metal trim pieces (so 4 screws total). Then pop off the light cover and you'll see that there is 2 thin metal pole looking things with a type of retaining washer on both (yeah, I don't know the real name haha). But anyways, I just pushed up on the sound bar to create some space between those retaining washers and the light fixture and stuck some needle nose pliers in there and wiggled little by little.

X2 also if you can find another retaining nut or what ever that thing is your set up will go back in a lot easier. If you can't than the middle of the bar will sag by the light fixture.... just like mine . If you find out what that washer is called let me know. I may just get motivated to go out and fix mine.

Last edited by xj guy; 04-30-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:10 PM

Ah yes! thank you! The cargo light thing was where I had gone wrong. Due to my recent experience, I will add that by removing the trim piece and seatbelt mount (requires torx bit) from one side only, I was able to get the soundbar to pop right out of the other side. This was handy because I have the spare mounted on driver side of cargo area so the screws on the trim piece are trickier to get to.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 190-hp, 4.0-liter I-6

Good thread man! Haha
Old 04-30-2012, 01:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

You had to remove the seatbelt mount to get the trim piece off? I didn't have to do that... But hey if having more room to work with makes you more comfortable then by all means, do it!
Old 04-30-2012, 01:23 PM

As far as the retaining washers go, if they arent broken when you remove them, place them between two hard surfaces and pound them flat before re-installing. Helps, but the threaded posts they go on get a little stripped when removing the washers. If you want to replace the washers, bring them to a good hardware store and ask the oldest, most experienced person there if they have any. You might also try putting some shrink tubing on the post below the washer if you still have problems with it slipping.

Last edited by keelwheel; 04-30-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:33 PM

You had to remove the seatbelt mount to get the trim piece off? I didn't have to do that... But hey if having more room to work with makes you more comfortable then by all means, do it!
Yeah, after removing the trim screws, I didn't have enough clearance below the seatbelt mount to pop the trim off the lip. couldn't get the trim piece to slide either. It only took a minute to remove the seatbelt mount and it did help in my case.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:54 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 litre Straight 6

I actually wound up replacing the rivets & Washers for the Cargo Light with 2 sheet metal screws. They are a lot easier to replace + I was able to get snugger fit with the Sound bar.

It is odd that you had to remove the seat belt pieces. I was able to leave them in place & just swing the 2 back cover/trims out of the way. But, the key thing is that you got it out. I was greenhorn at the junkyard & partially cracked it while removing. A few hours with fiberglass repair took care of that & even strengthened the Sound bar.
Old 01-15-2014, 02:48 AM

i hate to bring up an old thread.. but i just bought a new dome light to fix my old one in the cargo area.. and my liner is sagging on my sound bar.. so im going to refresh/refurbish the whole thing.. found this thread in a search..

the nuts that hold up the middle on the studs are called push nuts... your auto parts help section has a set of random sizes.. part number 13441

there are also some black plastic rivets on the side holding it up as well.. i had to clip mine to get them out.. ill have to find a better way of mounting the new cargo light back up there..

just thought i would help out with the push nut issue someone might have.. you just push up on the whole assembly to make room.. and wiggle the old ones down :-)

Name:  IMG_18991_zpse5c1c4c4.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  75.2 KB

Last edited by JackJare9455; 01-15-2014 at 02:53 AM.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=awilson42;1792341]I actually wound up replacing the rivets & Washers for the Cargo Light with 2 sheet metal screws. They are a lot easier to replace + I was able to get snugger fit with the Sound bar.

any chance you could explain or better yet show how you used the sheet metal screws? my rivet snapped in half when removing the sound bar so i need to go to plan B....any help would be much appreciated.
thanks