Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Something loose in the transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Something loose in the transmission?

Hey guys, I've had my jeep for about 2 months now and until now everything was great. Recently I started noticing a "loose" feeling in my steering. While on a turn I'd go over a bump in the road and felt as if something was loose. I got under the Jeep and checked all the castle nuts and cotter pins on the front suspension and everything was tight and pinned. This issue has slowly become worse since then.

Now I notice something in the transmission it seems. With my hand on the shifter, I can feel a vibration like something is loose. I can shift through all gears just fine and even 4wd is not a problem.

I am not familiar enough with transmissions, 4wd especially, to know where to go from here. Any pointers would be helpful.

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2010, 05:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

check the tranny mount it sounds like its worn out mine does the same thing
Old 06-04-2010, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by mwdouglas
check the tranny mount it sounds like its worn out mine does the same thing
Never thought to check there. Thanks, I'll check it out!
Old 06-05-2010, 12:22 AM

Year: 2000

how much play is there in the steering wheel when you turn it to where it acutally turns? also, might want to get somebody to wiggle the wheel for you while you check out your steering, that will make loose pieces vary obvious.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:28 AM
Seasoned Member

My guess would be tie rod ends otherwise bushings. Tranny mount could be a possibility but I'd look into your axle bushings first.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:34 PM

Default *UPDATE*

Well, after continued searching and a little trial and error, I think I found where the problem is located.

I first checked the transmission mount. Having never seen a transmission mount, I can't be 100% positive It's not an issue however, I'm pretty sure I found it and it looks to be just fine. The rubber is in good shape and the transmission doesn't move. It's just below the tranny by the x member right?

I then proceeded to check the steering system. Everything was tight, all cotter pins were present and, although I could see tiny cracks along the edge of the bushings, they didn't appear to be bad and the suspension was solid.

I continued searching near the transmission inside the vehicle. I ran my hand down the tranny tunnel on the left hand side and found that the vibration was more pronounced around the 4wd lever and below.

I think the problem is in the transfer case. As I feel in the area and turn the wheel, I can feel the symptom in that area. Could anything be wrong in the transfer case that would still allow me to shift into 4wd? Could anything be loose? Could a gear be worn?

Thanks for reading this long post...
Old 06-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by TWXJ97
Well, after continued searching and a little trial and error, I think I found where the problem is located.

I first checked the transmission mount. Having never seen a transmission mount, I can't be 100% positive It's not an issue however, I'm pretty sure I found it and it looks to be just fine. The rubber is in good shape and the transmission doesn't move. It's just below the tranny by the x member right?

I then proceeded to check the steering system. Everything was tight, all cotter pins were present and, although I could see tiny cracks along the edge of the bushings, they didn't appear to be bad and the suspension was solid.

I continued searching near the transmission inside the vehicle. I ran my hand down the tranny tunnel on the left hand side and found that the vibration was more pronounced around the 4wd lever and below.

I think the problem is in the transfer case. As I feel in the area and turn the wheel, I can feel the symptom in that area. Could anything be wrong in the transfer case that would still allow me to shift into 4wd? Could anything be loose? Could a gear be worn?

Thanks for reading this long post...
What do you mean "Wrong to allow you to shift into 4wd"?. You should be able to shift into 4hi while driving if this is what you mean.
Old 06-05-2010, 01:10 PM

... Clarification... I suspect something is wrong in the transfer case but, I can still shift into 4wd and back to 2wd with no problem.

Is it possible something is wrong even if the transfer case appears to be working fine?
Old 06-07-2010, 01:24 AM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by TWXJ97
... Clarification... I suspect something is wrong in the transfer case but, I can still shift into 4wd and back to 2wd with no problem.

Is it possible something is wrong even if the transfer case appears to be working fine?
the bushings in the shifter linkage are prob worn. if you dont mind the noise and stuff its prob ok to run. mine rattles pretty good when im sitting at an idle at a stop light or something, but just bumping it to move it just a hair makes it go away. but i know the bushings in mine arent in the greatest of shape, either.