Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

some shakes and vibes!

Old 02-24-2014, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default some shakes and vibes!

Alright, I got a few shakes and am getting slightly annoyed so if you have experienced any of them let me know what you did to fix em. I have a new tranny mount but stock motor mounts and will check their condition tomorrow night. Here are the different vibrations

I have one that happens when I put it in gear with my foot on the brake, sounds like something is rattling in the back/trunk area...I have checked and there is nothing shaking/rattling that I can find. My pops suggested that maybe one of the baffles in the muffler has broken and shakes around under engine load, but why only when in gear? also when putting your ear to the muffler there is no shaking noise; the noise/vibration is ONLY felt inside the cab.

Also, SOMETIMES, when my vehicle is in neutral it sounds like someone is hitting my tranny with a rubber mallot from below...clunk....clunk...clunk almost as if every few thousand engine revolutions the motor is shaking and maybe the mounts are worn out and sending a vibe to the tranny?

lastly is it common to have to slowly go through neutral on an AX-15 when shifting from park to drive or from drive to reverse in order to not get such a harsh clunk into gear? I find that if I stop in neutral for a split second it makes the shifts feel smoother?

THANKS!