Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

some body help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default some body help?

Hey guys sorry if this isnt allowed but i worked on my jeep today and found a few things that i would like some help with. I need to replace my drivers side mirror so the first question is do you just unscrew the mirror on the inside of the door and thats that?

two would be my passanger door lock dosnt seem to work and id like to get it back to working?

last but not least is my door rubs the fender on the driver side i looked at it a bit and it seems maybe the door is sagging and needs to be adjusted? Any help would be great!
Old 06-17-2011, 03:36 PM

Ok I figured out the mirror. I think maybe the linkage is disconnected but im not sure. If i hit the drivers side lock button the switch sounds on both doors and seems to work ok but i dont think the linkage is connected, if that makes sense. As for the door im still clueless
Old 06-17-2011, 03:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Search a bit. I knowsomeone has posted this question and got a solution that worked well.

As for me, if I ever reach that point I'm just gonna hit it with a grinder.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:48 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

My guess on the door lock is that the rod is bent inside the door. What your describing is exactly what happened with my pass door lock. Pull the door panel and carefully bend the rod until your lock works. I say carefully because that rod is connected by plastic tabs, dont want to snap one of those puppies off.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:13 PM

yea i looked into what parts i might need to replace for prices and what not and assumed that it might just need to be reconnected. That will be tommrows project and ill try to post some pics of the door cuz i have two noises one is deftinatly the door connector because both doors do it but i can deal with that its the whole hitting the fender that bugs me
Old 06-17-2011, 08:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Engine: 4.0

Hello. Unfortunately the doors on the XJ are adjustable up and down and side to side. Now that might sound like a good thing and most likely will help you fix it but it can be annoying trying to get it right. Just loosen the bolts that hold the door to the hinge and it has a good bit of movement in all directions....There are plastic connectors inside the doors the rods hook to and sometimes they will snap or crack or just pop loose. Good luck!