Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Smoke! just bought a 1993 XJ 4L high output

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Smoke! just bought a 1993 XJ 4L high output

videos took today, no smoke until about 1 minute of starting

sun coming in from side makes it look really white, has a gray tint

http://s407.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=MVI_2572.mp4

http://s407.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=MVI_2574.mp4

http://s407.photobucket.com/albums/p...t=MVI_2573.mp4

1993 4x4 XJ basic model, high output 4L, auto tranny, manual windows, not many luxuries (which I liked .. wanna basic jeep)

the body is very nice .. looks a few years old (not 20), white & clean .. nice lift on it, drives almost perfect straight at high speed

i was told (no paperwork regarding engine) .. that this had a new or rebuilt engine at 100k miles .. od reads 227k

the seller had just replaced spark plugs, plug wires, coil, d-cap, rotor button, fuel reg, water pump, lots of cooling hoses, thermo, coolant flush .. he also said compression test was fine

I paid $2200 cash ,, title fee was $165 today for temp tag, to get emissions done (colorado) .. he asked almost 3k, but it needs front shaft u-joints, tires, windshield .. and probably a walk thru by good front end mechanic .. so price was cheaper, seemed like a great deal after lowered

engine looks clean w/ a cpl usual tiny leaks (rear/front seals), drove good on test drive .. no smoke whatsoever

just picked it up .. drove 30ish miles to home .. not a bad drive, when parking, noticed smoke blowing around .. not in engine compartment

all out the tailpipe .. is dark outside .. flashlight it looks dark / blueish .. not white ... oil on dipstick isnt choco milk either

what would cause this .. extreme bad mixture ?? or something gone awol ..

the muffler has chysler emblem .. im guessing stock, if so I would guess Cat too .. hopin I didnt just waste a ton of cash .. on a good note .. the body is extremely nice, lift rides good

thoughts?? thanks

Last edited by dogkatcher; 10-04-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Blue smoke is oil, not unusual with those miles, just keep an eye on the level & don't run it dry.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Blue smoke is oil, not unusual with those miles, just keep an eye on the level & don't run it dry.

i got emissions to deal with .. I'll check it in daylight for color

I know my 1990 XJ .. when i had exhaust replaced .. somehow the map sensor vacuum line got connected to a screw, exhaust was super rich til that was discovered .. maybe that ? bad sensor ?

if it is oil burning .. whats the fix?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:40 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 L6

If the exhaust is a blue-ish color, it typically means that you oil is getting through the rings, mixing with your gas, and burning with it. At the same time, your going to have gas getting into your crankcase, which ultimately thins the oil out
Old 10-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Eugene Jeep
If the exhaust is a blue-ish color, it typically means that you oil is getting through the rings, mixing with your gas, and burning with it. At the same time, your going to have gas getting into your crankcase, which ultimately thins the oil out

just went and started it, still smoke cool

cat sounds like a cookie jar when banged on .. as in toasted

thanks for help so far

Last edited by dogkatcher; 10-03-2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 12:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Got any oil in the air filter box?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:48 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1991
Engine: 2001 4.0L

Have you confirmed its coming out of the tail pipe? You said that you saw smoke blowing around, but from where?

I have seen a lot of 4.0s that leaked out of the rear main, down onto the exhaust, which made them smoke.

Also, I dont think he would randomly do a compression check, so maybe it had something going wrong.......

If its not coming straight out of the tail pipe, start your Jeep and look under to see if oil is dripping on the exhaust.

If it is out of the tail pipe, what color? Does it smell like gas, burning oil, or sweet??

Report back!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Default Smoke Videos added ... in daylight

videos took today, no smoke until about 1 minute of starting

sun coming in from side makes it look really white, has a gray tint

no sweet smell like coolant burning, doesnt smell like my ice auger which burns oil

i think its running very rich .. the cat does sound like it has rocks in it, obviously shot ... bad EGR maybe ? or some other emissions part ?

the air filter is new, there is a slight spot of oil under the ccv tube entrance to airbox, not much though, just a trace

http://s407.photobucket.com/albums/pp159/dogkatcher/?action=view&current=MVI_2572.mp4

http://s407.photobucket.com/albums/pp159/dogkatcher/?action=view&current=MVI_2574.mp4

http://s407.photobucket.com/albums/pp159/dogkatcher/?action=view&current=MVI_2573.mp4
Old 10-04-2012, 10:33 PM
CF Veteran

If you had bad rings you'd probably find substantial oil in the airbox, it overwhelms the CCV system and ends up there. I'm thinking you are perhaps correct, that it's running too rich.
About 1 minute after startup it should be switched to closed loop, I wonder if your o2 sensor is shot. MAP sensor and associated vacuum line would be another possibility. Any leaks in the exhaust before or around the o2 sensor?

Have you taken it in for emissions yet?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Radi
If you had bad rings you'd probably find substantial oil in the airbox, it overwhelms the CCV system and ends up there. I'm thinking you are perhaps correct, that it's running too rich.
About 1 minute after startup it should be switched to closed loop, I wonder if your o2 sensor is shot. MAP sensor and associated vacuum line would be another possibility. Any leaks in the exhaust before or around the o2 sensor?

Have you taken it in for emissions yet?

no emissions yet .. no way it would pass .. like I said zero smoke test drive around his hood, ran it awhile idling .. somehow long term highway speeds killed cat when i took possession .. luckily seller agreed on sale .. must pass emission or help pay to get fixed. he's being cool w/ it .. has a conscience

figure start there, if it doesnt pass .. then we get 1 free shot on next test .. I got til late Nov on temp tag .. dont rush, do it right

getting new magnaflow cat & muffler in Am (same shop did great work on my '90) .. gonna have him swap in a new o2 sensor also (while on lift) .. kinda hard to reach the electrical connect lying on back

three cheers to my morning .. seriously .. the muffler on this jeep has chysler emblem & #s .. could it be 20 years old ? it is huge!

this ride needs to sound like a truck not a car .. if it doesnt stop smokin after that .. takin it to local jeep repair shop for testing .. good reviews ... edgewater jeep, lakewood, colorado

thanks for all replies .. hope we all learn something
Old 10-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Seasoned Member

grabbed a new bosch O2 sensor $56

new magnaflow cat/muffler for $220 installed, mechanic installed sensor for free

great price all around .. no more smoke

think it was runnin way rich, cat was toast, muffler clogged up

I checked the vacuum lines on top of engine, they all seem good visually

tranny shifts way better too, engine purrs nice

thanks for all replies .. we'll see how emissions test goes this week
Old 10-07-2012, 12:31 AM
CF Veteran

Nice work- and good luck with the emissions test. If you haven't already, change your oil before taking it in. Fuel-laden oil isn't helpful to emissions.