Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Smell of Gasoline in Cabin.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Smell of Gasoline in Cabin.

It started, there was faint smell of gas and got progressively worse. While replacing my alternator I noticed one of the quick connects on the fuel rail was leaking. I replaced both of those lines and didn't use quick connects. I used fuel injector line and clamps. Pressured the system up and have checked it multiple times to look for leaks.

Well, after doing so I went ahead and followed the lines all the way back to the tank at which point I can't see the ends, but up to that point I could find no leaks(looked with the key turned to 'ON' and while running). Seems like it gets worse while I drive it and then after a certain points it goes away. I also have new exhaust and checked and it doesn't leak anywhere.

Where should I check now? What could be causing this? The only leaks that show under the jeep is the transmission rear seal(next in line for repair) Otherwise no drips anywhere.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:58 AM

Year: 1988

Pull on the throttle cable while you have the hood popped and see if the pressure causes more of a leak.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:05 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.oh

Gas cap not tight or or old and not sealing.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:22 AM

When I installed the new fuel hoses and checked out underneath I had my roomate raising the throttle. Feathered and also held it steady. Gas cap is definately on tight, not sure about sealing. Would that cause a smell in the cabin while driving down the road?
Old 01-12-2012, 03:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Check around your injectors, both the seals where they plug into the head and the joint on the body of the injector where metal meets plastic. It doesn't take much leakage for the fumes to enter the cabin (the air intake for interior ventilation is located at the base of the windshield right behind the rear edge of the hood). The leak can be very subtle, the fumes are not subtle. Good luck tracking it down.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:03 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by F1Addict
Check around your injectors, both the seals where they plug into the head and the joint on the body of the injector where metal meets plastic. It doesn't take much leakage for the fumes to enter the cabin (the air intake for interior ventilation is located at the base of the windshield right behind the rear edge of the hood). The leak can be very subtle, the fumes are not subtle. Good luck tracking it down.
Excellent idea.

With it running, spray throttle body cleaner around the injectors. If there's a bad o-ring or more, the idle will fluctuate when the TB cleaner hits the leak.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:28 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

You may not have a gas leak at all.. check your evap canister is hooked up properly. The 4.0 and 5.2 systems work a little differently, but either way they need the vacuum lines on and routed properly.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:40 PM

The engine is hot so I will check around injectors after it cools. Canister is all good except one tube coming out is capped off and it looks like it used to go to a tube that is running along the firewall and then goes into the cabin :S Anyone know what it's for? I can take some pics in a few..
Old 01-12-2012, 04:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989

Pics = win
Old 01-12-2012, 04:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

Betcha Chickenfloss is talkin about a vac line.. Also, if you have a 97 or newer XJ you should have a plastic tank. If so, get it on a lift (or slide under from the rear) so you can see the top of the gas tank. With a long, wide headed, flat head screwdriver and hammer, position the screwdriver so it sits on one of the notches on the cap. Now tap it clockwise to see if it will tighten. Mine came loose twice. Idk if its because of the bass or what, but it was loose enough to allow gas to spill out when I filled up all the way. It spilled cause gas in fill tube was higher any gravity would do its thing.. Now it's on tight and no more gas smells or spills.

Last edited by VTJeep; 01-12-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:35 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0 ltr

Originally Posted by Chickenfloss
The engine is hot so I will check around injectors after it cools. Canister is all good except one tube coming out is capped off and it looks like it used to go to a tube that is running along the firewall and then goes into the cabin :S Anyone know what it's for? I can take some pics in a few..
Your charcoal canister should not have any lines going into the cabin. However, it's sounds like you are referring to the vacuum canister behind the bumper... does your cruise work? How about the air vents.. does the air only come out of the defrost vents by the windshield?

Back to the fuel smell, I was having a fuel smell problem as well that would go away after driving for a bit. Ended up being the fuel pressure regulator, it had blown O-ring. At first I didn't notice it because the first time I checked because the engine had already run for a few minutes and the leak had stopped. I guess the system had built up enough pressure to stop the leak. The next time I checked it I had just started it and the fuel was dripping from around the regulator at the front of the fuel rail.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:18 PM

Ok here are the pics. Upon closer inspection in daylight it is going to a metal line and then down and toward the back of the jeep. Not sure if it's transmission or towards the fuel tank or what? Also, the only canister I have is next to my passenger tire well? Oh and to answer the other one, it's a '95, but I plan to thoroughly inspect the tank and fill lines as soon as I get the chance.

It will be dark before I can look any closer. It's currently our only vehicle and it's constantly on the move.

Top left is the canister and the one that is capped.
Top Right is the line that isn't connected and lying next to that canister.
Bottom left is the metal line that the hose connects to on the other side.

Also, since the picture is here. On the top left picture there is a plug in the top right corner not hooked to anything. Can't find anywhere for it to go, has 2 small holes in it. There is also a second tail next to the battery that just has 1 metal prong in the center. Neither of which I can find anything in the vicinity they could go to. I don't have any dummy lights on though. The one near the battery looks like it would go to a battery temp sensor...only I don't have a battery temperature sensor and it just disappears into the harness...
Attached Thumbnails Smell of Gasoline in Cabin.-2012-01-12-17.07.01.jpg   Smell of Gasoline in Cabin.-2012-01-12-17.07.35.jpg   Smell of Gasoline in Cabin.-2012-01-12-17.07.54.jpg  

Last edited by Chickenfloss; 01-12-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:43 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Originally Posted by Chickenfloss
The only pics i have are for a '93 4.0L Is yours a 4.0 or a 5.2? From the pics i have, that looks to be your evap canister. It sucks fumes out of your gas tank, stores them in the canister(full of charcoal granules) then when the engine is running, it sends the stored fumes into your air breather. Since yours is not correct, it's a good suspect for raw fuel odors.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:22 AM

It's the 4.0L. I will get that hose replaced, it's all dry rotted as is and then see if it improves. Anyone know about that plug with the red plastic on it in picture one and where it may go?

And thanks for the help everyone.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Just a quick footnote. Air can be sucked in around the rear hatch. (especially with the front windows down). If the pump mount, lines, or the filter or anything back down under there where leaking, fumes might get sucked in around the hatch.

Quick Reply: Smell of Gasoline in Cabin.