Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Slow cranking then dies

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Slow cranking then dies

Hey guys I have a 98 cherokee 4.0l I recently ran into a few problems. I had the starter changed about 2 weeks ago. The very next morning the battery was dead the truck wouldnt start, I had a spare battery so I threw that in there and it started right up..long story short it started slow cranking 2 days ago and now it half cranks then dies it wont start unless I jump it. I'd appreciate any help
Old 05-11-2013, 10:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Sounds like you have a charging problem. The first things I would do is have the battery load tested and also have the alt. bench tested any parts store will do this for you for free. Also check all of you grounding points. Not just at the battery but all of them. If all of those check out you may have a parasitic draw on they system cause you battery to drain Check those things out and if you still have over night. Report back and I can post a link on how to check for the parasitic draw.
Well here's the link anyways.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
Sounds like you have a charging problem. The first things I would do is have the battery load tested and also have the alt. bench tested any parts store will do this for you for free. Also check all of you grounding points. Not just at the battery but all of them. If all of those check out you may have a parasitic draw on they system cause you battery to drain Check those things out and if you still have over night. Report back and I can post a link on how to check for the parasitic draw.
How To Perform a Parasitic Draw Test - EricTheCarGuy - YouTube
Thanks for the info, I'll be testing everything tomorrow.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:00 PM

How To Perform a Parasitic Draw Test - EricTheCarGuy - YouTube
I checked it, it shows 8.8amps constant...I pulled every fuse and still no luck!
Old 05-12-2013, 09:45 PM
CF Veteran

do you have an after market alarm system or sound system with an amp. If so you might want to look into those.
Old 05-12-2013, 10:02 PM

Year: 1996

is your check engine let tripping a code? my best guess is crank sensor or alternator
Old 05-13-2013, 06:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

1. You absolutely need to verify that "spare battery" you put in your XJ. Haven't seen evidence of this yet. Take your battery to a parts store where they will perform a load test on the battery for no charge. Load testing is the only conclusive way of testing a battery; voltage testing is often inconclusive.

2. If battery checks out, verify charging system. Put a meter lead on each battery terminal. With a good charging system and battery, you should see approximately 13.5 to 14.0 volts. What does the voltage gauge on your dash read?
Old 05-13-2013, 08:52 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by dirtyjerz
is your check engine let tripping a code? my best guess is crank sensor or alternator
And you really are guessing! A cps wouldn't cause a battery drain unless you keep trying to start the vehicle with a bad on.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:46 AM

do you have an after market alarm system or sound system with an amp. If so you might want to look into those.
No aftermarket alarm or sounds
Old 05-13-2013, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
1. You absolutely need to verify that "spare battery" you put in your XJ. Haven't seen evidence of this yet. Take your battery to a parts store where they will perform a load test on the battery for no charge. Load testing is the only conclusive way of testing a battery; voltage testing is often inconclusive.

2. If battery checks out, verify charging system. Put a meter lead on each battery terminal. With a good charging system and battery, you should see approximately 13.5 to 14.0 volts. What does the voltage gauge on your dash read?
voltage gauge reads 14, never goes below that. The battery tested good, After letting the battery sit in the car for a few days it drains to 10.0