Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

short belt and 2 electric fans?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default short belt and 2 electric fans?

does anyone run a short belt that bypasses the ac compressor and the clutch fan? and do you think doing that and running two small fan instead of the clutch fan would work.

the reason i ask is the bracket that holds the ac compressor broke and a bolt broke of in the head so it would just make it eaiser for me if i could do it this way instead of drilling the bolt out and buying new bracket and clutch fan it would be cheaper.

let me know what you guys think about this idea.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L

dont half A$$. fix it right the first time and you will save time and money in the long run. but honestly, I have no experience with that bracket or the difficulty to replace but that wisdom was told to me many times and I learned it myself many times.

that setup seems kinda crazy
Old 01-14-2010, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0
Default jeep

yea thats kinda what i was thinking but wanted to see what some people thought about the idea because the ac and clutch fan arn't really needed with 2 electric fans but i didnt know how well they would cool it.

and i was wandering if anyone had done it and got that short belt to work before i wasted my time trying.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L

which 2 fans? the electric fan that kicks on and the fand belt fan? fro cooling the radiator?
Old 01-15-2010, 05:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Rerouting the belt is usually a pain - you have to have enough wrap on accessories to transfer enough power to drive the things. If you don't have, say, 180* or so of wrap on the power steering pump pully, you'll start to lose power steering. Likewise the alternator - I think 135* is the spec there. Less than that, and you start to slip when you need high current output...

1) Replace the aircon support bracket (it's probably losing its bearing by now anyhow.)

2) Remove the broken mounting screw.

3) Find an "AC Delete" pully and bracket. You'll probably find it in a boneyard somewhere - it takes about three minutes to change the bearing, so you're fine there.

4) Remove the OEM mechanical clutch fan and studs. Use 1/4"-20x1/2" screws to secure the idler pully back to the flange.

You can now continue to use the same size belt you did before. However, since idler pullys require negligible torque to drive, you'll be quit of the parasitic losses of driving the fan and the aircon compressor clutch pully (which is still a fair amount of rotating mass - even if it's never activated and simply rolls along as an idler.) You will get a measurable increase in parasitic drag from your alternator (due to the increase power requirement of the twin electrical fans,) but it should not be as much as the gain from losing the belt-driven fan and aircon "idler."