Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

shock bolts, not what you think.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default shock bolts, not what you think.

hey guys, im new here. recently got a 98 XJ for 1400 bucks 150k miles, working everything, but the body is beat. anyhow it has a 3in lift on it, kinda cheap but its got pucks in the and 3in blocks in the back. the springs are getting pretty weak almost bending up rather than down lol. i bought it that way. anyhow i bought some f150 shocks today and went to put them on. soaked the bolts in pb blaster waited, then hit them with my impact. i did some reading on here about them but my problem is a little different. the bolts all spin, but wont come out. im guessing the weld nut inside has come loose on them so it just keeps spinning. right now im going to jsut let it go for a few days until i track down some s10 leaf packs, then do it all at once. not sure how to tackle it though, im kind of thinking of cutting the whole mount out with a dremel, mounting and bolting the shocks in place then having my brother weld the mounts back in. anyone have any better ideas, i would be happy to hear some from the experts. my other car is a 2003 Mustang Cobra, i can tell you how to do anything on it, but im new to the Jeeps, guessing you guys have been through just about everything with these things. for example, i was psyched when the guy was telling me about the lift, until i got on here lol.
Old 11-19-2010, 08:58 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

I assume this is the rear uppers shock bolts? If there spinning and the weld nut is loose, then cut the head of the bolt off and push the bolt through up into the body. You can then feed a new grade 8 nut through the top using the small access holes. I put the nut inside my wrench, tape over the nut, then fed it through the access hole.
Old 11-20-2010, 08:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Not the best idea to use an impact. Cut or drill the bolts out and use bar pin eliminators and never worry about those bolts again
Old 11-20-2010, 09:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

where would be a good place to get the bar pin elimninators?