Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Shifting problem

My 96 XJ country got soaked last night on the drivers side and wet passenger side. Motor didn't go under but it sat in water for an hour till someone could pull it out. Now the motor runs strong but it will not and I mean will not shift until it gets to about 4900-5000 RPM's and ideas? This is my first XJ and I haven't had it very long.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

You might want to start by draining some of the trans fluid and check if you have water in it.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Check your trans electrical connectors for water. Any other sensor connector that got wet should be dried and inspected as well. Then check all fuses to make sure the water didn't short any circuits and pop them.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:55 PM

Well drained all the fluid and replaced, it was nasty, now it shifts up well but if it shifts to 2nd or third and you hit the throttle it will not downshift. I was told 4 qts for a fluid change but I drained it and put 4 qts in it and checked how much came out and that was only about 3.5 qts and it was reading over full before. Now it reads the same on the dipstick as it did. I don't know how to explain it any ideas.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995 &2000

Need to have the trans flushed out with all new fluid it should start shifting better cause all you did was drain the pan the transmission with torque converter holds about 12 to 14 qt
Old 06-30-2012, 05:14 PM

Anyone had a problem with the TPS sensor causing a shifting problem, I thew the TPS code, and when unhooked it does the same as yesterday but when hooked up it works much better but still not perfect.
Old 06-30-2012, 05:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Hopin4aboat
Anyone had a problem with the TPS sensor causing a shifting problem, I thew the TPS code, and when unhooked it does the same as yesterday but when hooked up it works much better but still not perfect.
The throttle position ABSOLUTELY is the primary suspect here. Input signals from that sensor are directly involved with shifting characteristics of the AW4 transmission.

And guess what? The TPS hates water.

I'd swap in a new one.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
The throttle position ABSOLUTELY is the primary suspect here. Input signals from that sensor are directly involved with shifting characteristics of the AW4 transmission.

And guess what? The TPS hates water.

I'd swap in a new one.
Thanks tjwalker TPS has seemed to fix all problems as of now. Lets hope it stays that way.

This is the first time I've worked on an XJ since I've only owned it for about 48 hours and its been messed up for 40 of them. I'm glad their easy to work on.

First mud session cost an oil change, trans change, front and rear dif drain and refill, TPS, airfilter and starter.

Moral of the story you need a snorkel because it won't get stuck but a water soaked airfilter will stop you in your spot. Second moral of the story when you go wheelin with someone in a ford be sure their 4wd works before you get stuck and if they say "yes I have a tow rope you don't need yours" be sure to see it before you go for a ride.

I know its a long post but I wanna say thank you to everyone for the help.