Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Shifting down to 1st

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 09:55 AM
jor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Shifting down to 1st

98 Cherokee Automatic

I posted earlier on this but did not do a good job of describing the issue. The trans shifts as it should (smooth and at the right time) except in one instance. That is, rolling slowly to a stop. Sometimes, it shifts into 1st just before the wheels stop rolling while other times, it does not do the shift until the moment of take off. i.e. just begin to accelerate and it shifts down into first.

I've got a Chiltons but it doesn't address this issue. Could it be a solenoid somewhere, a vacuum line? Thanks.
jor
Old 03-21-2013, 10:53 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

When was the transmission fluid last changed? What does it currently look and smell like?

Also, give this a spin: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/free-quick-fix-41821/
Old 03-22-2013, 07:20 AM
jor

Just changed it. That is, I drained and refilled. The old fluid was slightly brown but did not smell burned.
jor
Old 03-22-2013, 08:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jor
Just changed it. That is, I drained and refilled. The old fluid was slightly brown but did not smell burned.
jor
When you said changed what do you mean...did you drain out half of your fluid and fill it back up? All of it? All of and the filter?

Edit: and try the cable trick

Last edited by Zack92MJ; 03-22-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 09:52 AM
jor

When you said changed what do you mean...did you drain out half of your fluid and fill it back up? All of it? All of and the filter?
All I did was pull the drain plug and replace the amount that drained out. Didn't drop the pan.
jor
Old 03-22-2013, 10:05 AM

Year: 1998

you do know there is a filter/screen in there right that is possibly dirty
Old 03-22-2013, 10:47 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jor
All I did was pull the drain plug and replace the amount that drained out. Didn't drop the pan.
jor
Okay good,

Originally Posted by kennzz05
you do know there is a filter/screen in there right that is possibly dirty
Yeah, dont do that.

I thought about doing this (changing fluid/filter/etc) so I looked it. Yeah dont change it or dont completely change it. (like you did jor) If you dont believe me look it up for self. Basically people changed their fluid and then have tranny issue because that fluid has particles in it from the old bands in it. Giving it better gripping strength and such. And since you dont have that you have to rebuild your tranny, normally. Not saying its the case but when you get up into the higher mileage its more likely

I changed the fluid like you did when I first got my Jeep and I had some issues with gears and stuff off and on but after a wile it went away.

Again if you dont believe look it up

Im not saying thats your issue, and I would tell you to do the throttle cable trick before anything else, but it could be a possibility. unlikely but possible..Again check the TB cable
Old 03-22-2013, 11:17 AM

Year: 1997

Originally Posted by Zacks98
Okay good,

Yeah, dont do that.

I thought about doing this (changing fluid/filter/etc) so I looked it. Yeah dont change it or dont completely change it. (like you did jor) If you dont believe me look it up for self. Basically people changed their fluid and then have tranny issue because that fluid has particles in it from the old bands in it. Giving it better gripping strength and such. And since you dont have that you have to rebuild your tranny, normally. Not saying its the case but when you get up into the higher mileage its more likely

I changed the fluid like you did when I first got my Jeep and I had some issues with gears and stuff off and on but after a wile it went away.

Again if you dont believe look it up

Im not saying thats your issue, and I would tell you to do the throttle cable trick before anything else, but it could be a possibility. unlikely but possible..Again check the TB cable

From my research on this, I found lots of posts on here advising to do multiple drain/refills.

If the transmission is relying on the particles in the old fluid to keep it going, it doesn't have much life left in the transmission anyway. You should be able to change the filter/screen, but I guess that would be a last resort. I suppose that if you know you are in a position where your trans is replying on this old fluid, it is just the Jeeps way of giving you time to source and replace the trans before it dies altogether. Feel free anyone to correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by 97jeepxj40; 03-22-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:02 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Originally Posted by 97jeepxj40
From my research on this, I found lots of posts on here advising to do multiple drain/refills.

If the transmission is relying on the particles in the old fluid to keep it going, it doesn't have much life left in the transmission anyway. You should be able to change the filter/screen, but I guess that would be a last resort. I suppose that if you know you are in a position where your trans is replying on this old fluid, it is just the Jeeps way of giving you time to source and replace the trans before it dies altogether. Feel free anyone to correct me if I'm wrong.
^ This

For what it's worth, the 1999 Factory Service Manual doesn't even mention replacement of the AW4's filter/screen. Cleaning is mentioned as a troubleshooting step
Old 03-22-2013, 08:11 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 97jeepxj40

Thank you for saying what I was trying to communicate. I was failing to do so earlier