Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Decent speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 05:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Decent speakers?

OK, so I recently bought some Pyle speakers from Advance Auto just because I had a discount code that was gonna expire soon. I'm really not impressed, they have very little bass compared to the factory speakers. So anyways, I'm gonna buy something else. I'd like something that will be on par with the factory speakers: that's good enough for me. Hopefully no more than $50/pair too. So what speakers should I get?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:36 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

Rockford fosgate
Old 03-19-2013, 07:04 PM
CF Veteran

Looks good to me, any specific model? I'm gonna fit 6.5" speakers in the rear soundbar and I'm thinking I'll only be able to go with stock 5.25"s in the front (gotta check on space.)

Also, do you think it'd be worth it to get a used sub/amp locally?
Old 03-19-2013, 08:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L Renix Freshly Rebuilt!!

Make sure you get three or four way speakers so you can get high, mid, and low frequency's.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:50 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cmartin2112
Make sure you get three or four way speakers so you can get high, mid, and low frequency's.
A long time ago someone told me that three/four way speakers have less sound quality for some reason. The stock speakers in my XJ look like one way and they sound pretty good.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: Big 4.0L

memphis audio is what I have sound awesome
Old 03-19-2013, 09:17 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

Go to crutchfield.com, enter your vehicle info, and see what they have in your price range. Sometimes you can score an "open box" item for a real good price.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:50 PM

I just installed a set of 61/2" Polk Audio in the rear, they sound pretty good. You cant go wrong the Memphis speakers mentioned earlier(top notch).
Old 03-19-2013, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Memphis is great as is Rockford. But stay away from all of the three and four way crap. Do you really need two or three tweeters for one mid-range driver? You just end up with crappy mid -range and that damned hiss-hiss, chick-chick tweeter noise. For the best sound buy yourself a st of componet speakers (seperate driver and tweeter with external crossover) and a nice four channel amp, if your budget will allow. If not buy the best set of two way's you can afford and try to stick to brands that you can't buy at wal-mart. Rockford Fosgate, Memphis, Polk, Boston, Mb quart, Eclipse, etc. etc.

Last edited by chipmaker; 03-19-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L Renix Freshly Rebuilt!!

Originally Posted by Dan91
A long time ago someone told me that three/four way speakers have less sound quality for some reason. The stock speakers in my XJ look like one way and they sound pretty good.
No, 2 way and 3 way are diffrent. 2 way speakers only contain a tweeter and a woofer vs a 3 way which contains a tweeter, mid range, and woofer. You will get much better sound out of 3 way IMO. I have a set of pioneer 2 way 6x9's installed in my bronco and they sound like crap... The high's are there but lows are not... In the jeep I have installed (forgot which brand) a set of 3 ways in the dront doors and they sound awesome! FULL range of sound!

Originally Posted by chipmaker
Memphis is great as is Rockford. But stay away from all of the three and four way crap. Do you really need two or three tweeters for one mid-range driver? You just end up with crappy mid -range and that damned hiss-hiss, chick-chick tweeter noise. For the best sound buy yourself a st of componet speakers (seperate driver and tweeter with external crossover) and a nice four channel amp, if your budget will allow. If not buy the best set of two way's you can afford and try to stick to brands that you can't buy at wal-mart. Rockford Fosgate, Memphis, Polk, Boston, Mb quart, Eclipse, etc. etc.
I agree with you on most of your post. But I do not agree with the no go on 3/4 way speakers... 4 ways contain 2 tweeters (which yes IMO is over kill) but 3 ways are good speakers. The set I have sounds great and its just running off the head unit. Also never heard the hiss, chick noise your talking about... Please explain why these speakers are bad...
Old 03-19-2013, 11:22 PM
Banned

Year: 2001

Looks good to me, any specific model? I'm gonna fit 6.5" speakers in the rear soundbar and I'm thinking I'll only be able to go with stock 5.25"s in the front (gotta check on space.)

You can fit 6.5 speakers in the front doors also. You might have to drill a hole or two.
I have 6 kicker speakers 6.5" in the front doors and 5.25" in the passenger speakers and the sound bar.
If I where you I would go to best buy and push those red buttons and see what speakers sound good take down the names and model numbers of the ones you like get on ebay/amazon/google shopping/crutchfield and see who has the lowest price and buy them.

Picture of the passenger door speaker.
Attached Thumbnails Decent speakers?-imag1067.jpg  

Last edited by SilverHaze; 03-19-2013 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0, APN header & 2.5" exhaust

A couple weeks ago I put a set of the $50 Pioneer 6.5s in the front location. They sound absolutely great for a fairly cheap price. Just gotta keep an eye on the top mounting depth.. I think it was 1&13/16" was the deepest you can go for running 6.5 in the front.
Old 03-20-2013, 12:26 AM

Engine: 4.0L I6

I was able to fit Pioneer 6.5's in the front door as well without issue. I bought my sub/amp used locally, and had a good experience with it. Obviously, some will not have. It definitely helps to know what to look for in terms of the model itself, and its condition. I did a fair bit of research before buying mine, even though they were cheap and used. Also have to factor in price for the wiring kit. Ive also had good experiences price and service wise with Crutchfield for buying deck trim kits, wiring kits, etc.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:30 AM

Year: 92

Originally Posted by cmartin2112
No, 2 way and 3 way are diffrent. 2 way speakers only contain a tweeter and a woofer vs a 3 way which contains a tweeter, mid range, and woofer. You will get much better sound out of 3 way IMO. I have a set of pioneer 2 way 6x9's installed in my bronco and they sound like crap... The high's are there but lows are not... In the jeep I have installed (forgot which brand) a set of 3 ways in the dront doors and they sound awesome! FULL range of sound!

I agree with you on most of your post. But I do not agree with the no go on 3/4 way speakers... 4 ways contain 2 tweeters (which yes IMO is over kill) but 3 ways are good speakers. The set I have sounds great and its just running off the head unit. Also never heard the hiss, chick noise your talking about... Please explain why these speakers are bad...
Iv done alot or systems u dont really want or need more than 2 way speakers without an amp to your speakers they lack any bass and just get kinda poor sound screaming at u with no bass without amp they sound really good as long as you have sunwoofers and amp hooked up walmart sells kicker now but they can blow easy iv blown there door speakers and subs altho there solo bareck square subs are really good for bass . Mimphiss is really good rockford is good sony is good but if u dont want subwoofers dont bother going over 2 way speakers with lower wats power handling that may be why u have no bass also your head unit only has a max wats and rms wats if the speakers need higher than it pushes they will not have the bass get an aftermarcket cd player with 200 wats max or more i like anything with at least 240 max thats 60 wats per speaker on my cd player. Sorry for big run on centence i use my phone and im lazy lol i can go more in detal with max wats rms wats oms and how to wire suns wright most people wire them wrong two 2 om subs wired oe way are 0 oms and two same subs wired a difrent way are running at 4 oms most subs are normaly 4 oms voice coils with one vioce coil if wired wrong u can frie your amp or subs or both catch wires on fire and fry lots of things same goes for door speakers and cd players if your unlucky most cd players suport 4 to 8 omhs so u wouldnt normaly mess much up unless u start wireing more than one speaker to a chanel
Old 03-20-2013, 09:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Engine: 4.0L H/O

Originally Posted by ericbsecurity
Iv done alot or systems u dont really want or need more than 2 way speakers without an amp to your speakers they lack any bass and just get kinda poor sound screaming at u with no bass without amp they sound really good as long as you have sunwoofers and amp hooked up walmart sells kicker now but they can blow easy iv blown there door speakers and subs altho there solo bareck square subs are really good for bass . Mimphiss is really good rockford is good sony is good but if u dont want subwoofers dont bother going over 2 way speakers with lower wats power handling that may be why u have no bass also your head unit only has a max wats and rms wats if the speakers need higher than it pushes they will not have the bass get an aftermarcket cd player with 200 wats max or more i like anything with at least 240 max thats 60 wats per speaker on my cd player. Sorry for big run on centence i use my phone and im lazy lol i can go more in detal with max wats rms wats oms and how to wire suns wright most people wire them wrong two 2 om subs wired oe way are 0 oms and two same subs wired a difrent way are running at 4 oms most subs are normaly 4 oms voice coils with one vioce coil if wired wrong u can frie your amp or subs or both catch wires on fire and fry lots of things same goes for door speakers and cd players if your unlucky most cd players suport 4 to 8 omhs so u wouldnt normaly mess much up unless u start wireing more than one speaker to a chanel
Lol what?

Quick Reply: Decent speakers?