Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

shifting back to 2wd issues continued.. also questions on Tcase fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 07:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default shifting back to 2wd issues continued.. also questions on Tcase fluid change

So i had a post the other day that I had an issue with it getting stuck in 4PT and would not shift out until i made a rolling turn. well today i figured id try it again and see what happend. it shifted to 4ft fine, then put it back to 2wd and it went to PT and wouldnt come out. made a turn and it clicked out. i did this seeveral times and at times i had to take a corner faster and accelerate on and off while turning to get it to come out of 4PT. I never had this issue last winter season. last year it would shift to all ok and to get it back to 2wd i would just hit the gas a few times it would kick back to 2wd.

Recently I have done tie rods and ball joints. also i bought a set of good used tires as my fronts were bad from the bad ball joints. I bought the same size, but i have recently read that this could be the issue, im going to get my other 2 mounted this weekend.

i gues my next question is... is there bushings on the shift lever or easy way to make an adjustment?

i want to switch the transfercase fluid... any suggestions on what to use?

not sure what else could be affecting this... tires is my number one choice but wanted to know what else i should be looking at.

thanks

Last edited by Converted96; 12-02-2010 at 07:07 PM. Reason: notification