Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Shifter/ignition switch issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 10:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default Shifter/ignition switch issue

Hey guys I came here for help because hopefully one of you has had the exact issue I'm having although it's similar to others.

as of right now when I sit in my 98 XJ I can put the key in and start it normally but when I try to press the brakes and put it in gear the button on my shifter won't depress. I figured out that if I turn the key slightly forward from the run position there's a spot where the button releases and I'm able to shift out of park and freely through every other gear. At the same time this started my brake lights stopped workkng. It doesn't seem like the button is broken or malfunctioning it feels normal when I turn the key forward. It's just locked out depending on my key.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Sounds like a problem with the brake light switch which I'm pretty sure on an automatic is tied in with allowing you to shift out of P. That's where I'd start looking until/unless someone smarter than I can advise you.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by PatHenry
Sounds like a problem with the brake light switch which I'm pretty sure on an automatic is tied in with allowing you to shift out of P. That's where I'd start looking until/unless someone smarter than I can advise you.
thank you so much. Sorry it took me a while to get back to you. I actually located the part and found out mine was working but jammed. I loosened it up and it actually fixed my issue! Got it working fine again. I think I'll probably order a replacement soon since it seemed a bit sticky but still it seems to be working fine and I can't thank you enough.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Hahaha, anytime brother!

Glad to hear things are looking good for you and thanks for reporting back! The more confirmed solutions the easier it is for folks to search in the future and find answers.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by PatHenry
Hahaha, anytime brother!

Glad to hear things are looking good for you and thanks for reporting back! The more confirmed solutions the easier it is for folks to search in the future and find answers.
yes I feel the same way. I know there's gonna be people who go through the same problem and hopefully we can help.

It really stuck out when I noticed the torque converter stays locked even pressing the brakes.