Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Shift release button acting up

Old 12-20-2014, 08:42 PM
IJM
CF Veteran

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Shift release button acting up

My Jeep has been doing this since I got it last winter, but I'm finally thinking of sorting it out. About 80% of the time I can't shift from D down to 3 or 1-2 without tapping the brake, as the shift release button won't go in. Obviously, I need to hit the brake to get it out of P, but it seems like the linkage is worn or out of adjustment.

Perhaps it would be helpful for me know know for certain which positions require the button to be pushed to shift out of. Here's what I think it's supposed to do. Does this sound right?

Must push brake and button: P>R, R>P (presumably)
Must bush button, no brake: N>R, D>3, 3>1-2
No button or brake (just move shifter): D>N, N>D

The problem I'm having is I have to hit the brake to get the button to go in so I can downshift from D. Is there something specific I should be checking with the linkage? I've hot had the shifter apart before, so I'm not too sure where to start.

Last edited by IJM; 12-20-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:11 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,522 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Year: 1990

This help?
Attached Thumbnails Shift release button acting up-interlock-cable.jpg  
Old 12-21-2014, 11:04 AM
IJM
CF Veteran

Yes, that's a very good start. Thanks.

Any tips on how to get the center console apart to access the base of the shift lever?
Old 12-21-2014, 11:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by IJM
Yes, that's a very good start. Thanks. Any tips on how to get the center console apart to access the base of the shift lever?
Youtube has a video on how to remove the center console.

RSWiser
Old 12-21-2014, 12:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by IJM
My Jeep has been doing this since I got it last winter, but I'm finally thinking of sorting it out. About 80% of the time I can't shift from D down to 3 or 1-2 without tapping the brake, as the shift release button won't go in. Obviously, I need to hit the brake to get it out of P, but it seems like the linkage is worn or out of adjustment.

Perhaps it would be helpful for me know know for certain which positions require the button to be pushed to shift out of. Here's what I think it's supposed to do. Does this sound right?

Must push brake and button: P>R, R>P (presumably)
Must bush button, no brake: N>R, D>3, 3>1-2
No button or brake (just move shifter): D>N, N>D

The problem I'm having is I have to hit the brake to get the button to go in so I can downshift from D. Is there something specific I should be checking with the linkage? I've hot had the shifter apart before, so I'm not too sure where to start.
P>R, BRK yes, Button yes
R>N, BRK no, Button no
N>D, BRK no, button no
D>3, BRK no, Button yes
3>1-2, BRK no, Button yes.

The button function is in the shift mechanism under the center console. If you pop up the shift bezel up and turn the key to ON, then do the shifting, you can see the action of the gate under the shifter. The shift lock solenoid should have pulled the gate out of the way after you hit the brake and shifted to Reverse. The button having to be depressed going from Drive to 3 and from 3 to 1-2 is a function of the mechanism under the console.

Going from D down to 3 or 1-2 without tapping the brake, as the shift release button won't go in, is odd. It's almost like the Brake Lamp Switch is not working properly.

Does your trans Overdrive work okay? The Bake Lamp Switch set of contcts contacts that control the Shift Lock Solenoid also signals the TCM so that if the brake is applied it will drop out of overdrive.
Old 12-21-2014, 02:22 PM
IJM
CF Veteran

Brake lamp switch seems to be working fine. It'll even unlock the TC when I tap the brakes at speed without letting off the throttle. I'll have to pop the bezel off and have a look at the mechanism. It feels mechanical, like something isn't quite engaging or disengaging when I try to press the button. Like I say, sometimes the button actually works, and if I jiggle the lever and try the button again, it won't go down. Hopefully it's a quick fix. I'll poke around in there after the holidays when I get some time.

Last edited by IJM; 12-21-2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:49 AM
CF Veteran

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by IJM
Brake lamp switch seems to be working fine. It'll even unlock the TC when I tap the brakes at speed without letting off the throttle. I'll have to pop the bezel off and have a look at the mechanism. It feels mechanical, like something isn't quite engaging or disengaging when I try to press the button. Like I say, sometimes the button actually works, and if I jiggle the lever and try the button again, it won't go down. Hopefully it's a quick fix. I'll poke around in there after the holidays when I get some time.
Once you get the shift bezel up, squirt some lube on the mechanism and try it. You'll see where to lube it.

I've seen shift mechanisms for sale on ebay, if that's what's needed.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:04 PM
IJM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CCKen
Once you get the shift bezel up, squirt some lube on the mechanism and try it. You'll see where to lube it.

I've seen shift mechanisms for sale on ebay, if that's what's needed.
Thanks. I popped the bezel of real quick today just to see what it looked like, but I didn't have time to mess around with it an all that. I'll find a warm-ish day to dick around with it after the holidays.