Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Seriously need help with clutch

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 04:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Rebuilt Renix "Low Output" haha
Default Seriously need help with clutch

i Have replaced the slave, the hose and the master cylinder twice and no matter how many times I bleed the system it won't hold pressure! It doesn't leak anywhere, it holds fluid fine but the only way to shift is to pump the petal several times. However sometimes The petal will be firm, and i can shift a few times just fine, then i Push the petal in and bam all pressure gone and im back to pumping the petal several times to shift. I have literally bled the clutch about 30 Different times and twice with a vac bleeder. I really need help. I spent a hour on the internet trying to see if anyone else has a similar problem but i found nothing. Its a 89 4.0L with a internal slave ax-15. Thanks
Old 09-12-2011, 07:04 PM

Anyone?
Old 09-12-2011, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got me, but I will ask the guys in the tranny shop tomorrow...best I can do for ya....
Old 09-12-2011, 07:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Are you sure the pressure plate/release bearing is good? Did you bench bleed the clutch MC before you installed it?
Old 09-12-2011, 07:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

sounds like a fault pressure plate on the clutch. you should have replaced the clutch while u were in there. how many miles on the clutch/on the jeep?
Old 09-12-2011, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mycherokee96
Got me, but I will ask the guys in the tranny shop tomorrow...best I can do for ya....
Thanks I would appreciate that!

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Are you sure the pressure plate/release bearing is good? Did you bench bleed the clutch MC before you installed it?
Originally Posted by trans_am7935
sounds like a fault pressure plate on the clutch. you should have replaced the clutch while u were in there. how many miles on the clutch/on the jeep?
I forgot to mention that my clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing, and flywheel are all less then two years old. Maybe 15k
Miles on it. The release bearing is brand new as well. Bench bleed the master cylinder before i installed it? Umm no I had no idea? Are you supposed to? And If so how do you do that?
Old 09-12-2011, 09:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Same idea, you'll have one line only though on the clutch MC:

Old 09-13-2011, 08:13 AM

Thanks! I'll try that after work!
Old 09-13-2011, 08:49 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 2.5 liter

Let us know how it goes. I for one, am very interested in hearing what you find out!
Old 09-15-2011, 04:56 PM

Well I tried bench bleeding the master. It worked for a while but then my old problem came back. This morning it was pretty cold outside, and my clutch worked great the whole way to work, then this afternoon when it was 90 or so degrees I started having problems again on my way home. So temperature might be associated with this. On the connection for the master cylinder is there supposed to be a o ring or anything to help seal that? I have the nut tight but I think it's leaking from there? Any ideas?
Old 09-15-2011, 05:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 high output straight 6

is the rod on the MC adjusted to the correct length? Maybe if its improperly adjusted it will allow fluid to pass back into the resevoir which would be why you would have to pump the pedal again.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Nor-CalJeeper
is the rod on the MC adjusted to the correct length? Maybe if its improperly adjusted it will allow fluid to pass back into the resevoir which would be why you would have to pump the pedal again.
I wasn't aware that the rod could be adjusted? But that would make sense. How would i go about adjusting it?
Old 09-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 high output straight 6

Originally Posted by goneboating06
I wasn't aware that the rod could be adjusted? But that would make sense. How would i go about adjusting it?
I have never owned a manual Cherokee so I wasn't sure if I could be adjusted or not. After looking through my FSM I see that it doesn't have an adjustment on the MC rod and that it is a fixed length.

I appologize for the confusion I figured it was like most other vehicles which usually have an adjustment.

It sounds like maybe one of your line fittings isn't tightened enough aswell though maybe recheck that all the fittings are tight and none were accidentally crossthreaded when reinstalled?

Last edited by Nor-CalJeeper; 09-15-2011 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:52 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

I did a slave only in a wrangler, its the same slave setup. It was the one you connect to the fluid line. I also had the same issues after install. Bled it a dozen times without any change, pedal would work then just drop to the floor. Called the Jeep dealer and they said it was a common problem when you seperate the slave from the line. The air gets trapped and can't be properly bled out. I replaced the slave, line, and master as a unit pre-bled and the problem was gone.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:00 PM

Well i found out that the new hose was leaking from the connection at the master cylinder. I went and got a hose custom made, installed it, and STILL after 3 hours i can't get the clutch to bleed! It would start to build pressure, then it randomly it would loose it. Finally it just got to the point where it would not build pressure at all. I tried gravity bleeding it, and still nothing. I'm seriously beyond frustrated with this Jeep. Its my daily driver and i need it to go to and from work. Any ideas what it may be? i have spent hours on the internet doing research on what may be causing it. I have inspected to see if my clutch petal looked bent, and it looks perfect. The little white bushing thing for the master cylinder/petal connection is pretty worn out, but other then that everything looks fine. My bleeder screw could potentially be sucking in air. I have bled the thing seriously over 20 times in the past year, so its probably worn out, but i have no idea where to find a new bleeder screw? The only part of my clutch system that is not new is the two metal lines that come out of the slave cylinder. One that connects to the master, and the other a bleeder. When i replaced the slave i would have thought it would come with new lines, but it didn't so i looked my old ones over, then cleaned them and they appeared to be in decent shape so i installed them in my new slave. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I need to get my jeep back on the road as soon as possible. Thanks