Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Self-Tapping Screws for Sideview Mirror???

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 01:32 PM
CJG

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5L 4-cyl.
Default Self-Tapping Screws for Sideview Mirror???

My 1990 originally came without a passenger's side-view mirror. I'm perfectly fine with that but my girlfriend's brother is using the Jeep a few times a week now and his sister asked me to add the mirror for his safety.

So I found a great looking replacement mirror but it wasn't until I went to install it that I learned that it doesn't have threads in the three plastic posts where the screws go but takes self-tapping screws.

I checked the original driver's side mirror and, sure enough, it has THREADED METAL POSTS which take simple bolts.

I'm just nervous that the new mirror which takes self-tapping screws will quickly rattle itself free and fall off the Jeep. Am I being neurotic or should I go hunting for a true OEM passenger's side view mirror that comes with actual threaded metal posts which takes bolts which can be coated in Locktite?

Thanks in advance for any advice...

CJ

Original driver's side mirror with threads:

New, replacement passenger's side mirror with plastic posts needing self-tapping screws:

Old 03-21-2015, 02:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

You might be able to improvise a better fix by using different hardware. ACE sells hardware ala carte and you could probably find three bolts and matching nuts of appropriate length and girth.

I wouldn't trust self-tapping screws through a layer of sheetmetal to be strong enough over the duration.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:06 PM

Actually, nix all that above.... Does the replacement mirror only have plastic parts to bolt into? I just went to the JY and grabbed a replacement off of a scrapper and it bolted right on.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:37 PM
CJG

Thanks, 8s.

Your response made me go back to the mirror and look again and it's odd because if you tap on the posts and the whole triangular base of the mirror that mounts to the door, it sure sounds like plastic but when you look inside the posts that accept the self-tapping screws it looks like aluminum with a light spray of black paint as does the whole inside of that triangular base. So now I'm questioning whether it's plastic or if it's metal. The company I bought it from, Everyday Auto Parts, is happy to take it back with no restocking fee but I doubt they will if I start a self-tapping screw to find out. I took a magnet to it and, whatever these posts are, they're non-ferrous. But that could mean plastic or it could mean aluminum...

Here's what it looks like:

And, as you can see, there are no nuts involved -- these self-tapping screws are all that'll be holding the mirror to the door.

CJ
Old 03-21-2015, 03:16 PM

There is probably enough meat on those posts to hold the selftapping screws there. Maybe the makers of that mirror forgot to tap them? If the posts are aluminum, make sure the screws are stainless steel.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:24 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Send that POS back, and find someone local or go to a JY and get a bolt-in replacement. Maybe you will get lucky and find a pair of decent 97-up mirrors to swap in.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:45 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

They were self tapping bolts............
Old 03-22-2015, 01:08 PM
CJG

Originally Posted by cruiser54
They were self tapping bolts............
I'm sorry, Cruiser, are you saying that the image I posted of the existing bolt from the existing OEM dirver's side mirror is itself a self-tapping bolt?
Old 03-22-2015, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by CJG
I'm sorry, Cruiser, are you saying that the image I posted of the existing bolt from the existing OEM dirver's side mirror is itself a self-tapping bolt?
Yes. The mirrors came unthreaded and those bolts made the threads as screwed in.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:41 PM
CJG

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Yes. The mirrors came unthreaded and those bolts made the threads as screwed in.
Thanks. Then no point searching for a pre-threaded mirror. (I always thought a self-tapping screw had a pointed tip like a sheet metal or wood screw and not a flat end like the one I took off the existing mirror; I would have called that one a bolt and not a screw. But I'm far from a fastener expert...) Just want to make sure, first, that the receptacle posts on the new one are metal and not plastic. Thanks again.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by CJG
Thanks. Then no point searching for a pre-threaded mirror. (I always thought a self-tapping screw had a pointed tip like a sheet metal or wood screw and not a flat end like the one I took off the existing mirror; I would have called that one a bolt and not a screw. But I'm far from a fastener expert...) Just want to make sure, first, that the receptacle posts on the new one are metal and not plastic. Thanks again.
Self tapping screws/bolts have reliefs in the thread like a tap sort of and a small tip to get them started.