Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Self Tapping Screws

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 11:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6
Default Self Tapping Screws

What are self tapping screws? I have an 8 inch by 8 inch area of rusty metal in my trunk that a local shop called Engine Experts has agreed to look at and see what they can do, they said if they can help me they will try to weld in a new piece. A friend of mine mentioned that if they can't help me then I can use self tapping screws and do it myself but I don't even know what these are. So what are they?
Old 05-01-2010, 12:11 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 L H.O. I6

just had a thread up about screws compared to rivets.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/scr...-45651/index2/

Use rivets, not screws. I just finished using rivets and they work great. I tried using screws and they suck. definitely not as much ability to hold up.

to answer your question self tappers make their own thread when you screw them in.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Cherokee
just had a thread up about screws compared to rivets.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/scr...-45651/index2/

Use rivets, not screws. I just finished using rivets and they work great. I tried using screws and they suck. definitely not as much ability to hold up.

to answer your question self tappers make their own thread when you screw them in.
Now that I've read your link and realized that I had actually meant rivets not screws, if Engine Experts can't weld it then i'm going to either suggest they use rivets since they don't do body work there. Otherwise I will buy a riveter and rivets and do it myself. Then seal it with some POR-PUTTY.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:20 AM
Seasoned Member

So to wrap this thread up I have a few last questions:

1. Are rivets a permanet fix if I rivet then Seal with POR-PUTTY will it stand the test of time?

2. I would like to, if I must as an alternative from welding, us a pop riveter, where can I get the rivets and the riveter?

This area I'm trying to get fixed is very small so I'm not concerned about it being a problem structure wise. I plan to coat, the exposed metal edges that remain after the rusty stuff has been cut out, with POR-15 before riveting onto it. If the shop I am trying to get to fix it says that because they don't do that kind of work they can't fix it, and REMEMBER this shop deals with engine issues, they have agreed to look at it and see if they can do anything. Then is riveting a god alternative? How many of you guys have done this?
Old 05-02-2010, 02:41 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 L H.O. I6

Originally Posted by xjwanted
So to wrap this thread up I have a few last questions:

1. Are rivets a permanet fix if I rivet then Seal with POR-PUTTY will it stand the test of time?

2. I would like to, if I must as an alternative from welding, us a pop riveter, where can I get the rivets and the riveter?

This area I'm trying to get fixed is very small so I'm not concerned about it being a problem structure wise. I plan to coat, the exposed metal edges that remain after the rusty stuff has been cut out, with POR-15 before riveting onto it. If the shop I am trying to get to fix it says that because they don't do that kind of work they can't fix it, and REMEMBER this shop deals with engine issues, they have agreed to look at it and see if they can do anything. Then is riveting a god alternative? How many of you guys have done this?

i would say it could definitely be permanent for an area that small.

if you were replacing the whole pans, then it's semi permanent but welding is preferred.

pop rivets is what i used, and you can get one at lowes, home depot, and your local hardware store. same with the rivets. its really easy, just drill the hole and put the rivet in with the rivet gun.

you should do it yourself if you have a drill to drill the holes. super easy and very cheap.