Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Seems she's cutting out again...not fun.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 04:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.
Default Seems she's cutting out again...not fun.

Had a problem with this over the summer, thought the problem fixed itsself. Guess what?.......It didnt OK, what the ordeal here is that at any random time for no particular reason the jeep will cut out for anwhere between a barely noticeable split second to nerve-racking 2-3 seconds (counted it once, got to three). And by cutting out i mean the engine actually shutting down, then firing back up. My only guess that it keeps going is that the manual tranny fires it back up whenever its done doing whatever it is that's pissing me off. (Like when you get it rolling and drop the clutch to start it when the battery is dead.) It's starting to get me a little scared of being stranded somewhere. It even did it in first when i had just pulled out of somewhere.......I thought that it had died completely and that my life was about to be taken by the approaching mini van.... got any advice guys? Dont have any other mode of transportation, so if this thing quits...im walking
Old 08-31-2010, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

They like to cut out if your low on gas and turning I don't know if that's when your issue is happening
Old 08-31-2010, 04:19 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by slcxj
They like to cut out if your low on gas and turning I don't know if that's when your issue is happening
nope, doesnt matter how much gas i got. Full tank, half tank, half a gallon. Also doesnt matter if im turning, taking off, going around a curve, in low RPMs, in high RPMS, or if im cruising down the highway....it just does whatever it wants i guess
Old 08-31-2010, 04:25 PM

Haha got me then I had a some what similar issue it ended up being crap in my fuel rail
Old 08-31-2010, 04:27 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by slcxj
Haha got me then I had a some what similar issue it ended up being crap in my fuel rail
dang that sucks, i just wish i knew what my problem was, dont think the distributer cap and wires can cause this much of a problem, and the plugs are all brand new champions. Was told over the summer that it might be my CPS, then was told a few days ago it may be my CAM.....dont know what to believe anymore. Think ill just set it on fire and roll it down a hill if it dies on me
Old 08-31-2010, 04:53 PM

Take lots of pictures if you do! Only joking good luck mine never cut out to the point of dying so I don't think yours is as simple as fuel rail or injectors.
Old 08-31-2010, 05:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 95

mine did same thing. figured out with a snapon scanner that it was the cps. took forever to diag!!
Old 08-31-2010, 09:11 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 95THORxj
mine did same thing. figured out with a snapon scanner that it was the cps. took forever to diag!!
scanner?.....what is this black magic you speak of?
Old 09-01-2010, 12:34 AM
::Regional Moderator::

Year: 1998
Engine: I6

Sounds like what happened to my '98. Turned out to be a crank position sensor.

Same symptoms, and I was leery about being stranded. It'll get worse to the point where it'll barely start, or you have to floor it to get it working, again.

I think it's a Hall-effect switch:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_effect

Contemporary applications

Hall effect sensors are readily available from a number of different manufacturers, and may be used in various sensors such as rotating speed sensors (bicycle wheels, gear-teeth, automotive speedometers, electronic ignition systems), fluid flow sensors, current sensors, and pressure sensors.

Common applications are often found where a robust and contactless switch or potentiometer is required. These include: electric airsoft guns, triggers of electropneumatic paintball guns, go-cart speed controls, smart phones, and some global positioning systems.