Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Engine Cutting out after longer drives

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 08:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Engine Cutting out after longer drives

About 3 weeks ago I was driving and my 4.0L stopped while driving. No CE light, it was not overheating. It did not sputter or anything like that, it just stopped like it was switched off. After pulling over the engine turns over fine, but will not fire. After about 30 minutes, the engine started right up, and drove home fine. I have been driving it for the last 3 weeks with no problem, but they have ben short trips. Today I had a longer trip. After driving for about an hour, I switched it off. It was off for about 5 minutes. I came back out and tried to start it with no luck. Same thing, it turned over fine, but would not fire. After about 30 minutes, it fired right up and drove fine back to the house.

Anyone have some suggestions where to start? I have checked all of the simple things: oil level, coolant, wiring, plug wires etc, with nothing found.

Vehicle info: 1994, I6 4.0L, Auto Trans, 215K miles.

Sean
Old 09-01-2010, 12:38 AM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by seanf
About 3 weeks ago I was driving and my 4.0L stopped while driving. No CE light, it was not overheating. It did not sputter or anything like that, it just stopped like it was switched off. After pulling over the engine turns over fine, but will not fire. After about 30 minutes, the engine started right up, and drove home fine. I have been driving it for the last 3 weeks with no problem, but they have ben short trips. Today I had a longer trip. After driving for about an hour, I switched it off. It was off for about 5 minutes. I came back out and tried to start it with no luck. Same thing, it turned over fine, but would not fire. After about 30 minutes, it fired right up and drove fine back to the house.

Anyone have some suggestions where to start? I have checked all of the simple things: oil level, coolant, wiring, plug wires etc, with nothing found.

Vehicle info: 1994, I6 4.0L, Auto Trans, 215K miles.

Sean
Could be the crank sensor. Read the other posts on here about them.

Mine has 212K on the clock, and it just went on mine. Thought I was gonna be stranded the night before I changed it out, but it started, ran OK, and got me home (similar to your experiences).

It's just age, as some of these parts folks have problems with are common issues on these Jeeps as they age.