Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

SeaFoam questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 242 4.0L
Post SeaFoam questions

I got a can of seafoam and im going to put in my 4.0 but should i put it in the gas tank or the throttle body? or should i split it between the two? and is their a minimum air or engine temperature that i can put in at?
Old 02-12-2012, 01:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0 HO

Put it in both. Let the engine get to operating temp then dump it in the TB, shut the engine off for 10 - 15 minutes to let it soak in, then fire it up and give it hell.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by sthon
Put it in both. Let the engine get to operating temp then dump it in the TB, shut the engine off for 10 - 15 minutes to let it soak in, then fire it up and give it hell.
when i start it back up do i just let it idle or do i drive it around?
Old 02-12-2012, 01:12 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Lfwnnr
when i start it back up do i just let it idle or do i drive it around?
You can either drive it around or just give it gas and get the rpm's up. Keep in mind it can smoke A LOT depending on the carbon build up. I usually get the rpms up to 3k - 3500 for a few minutes to get the majority of the smoke out, then drive it like I stole it for a good 15 - 20 minutes.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

It also is not a bad idea to change the oil if there was excessive carbon build up. When you let it soak for a bit you can loosen up a lot of crud in your engine.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:31 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: I6 4.0L HO

2 Bottles... 1 full in gas tank. Half in oil... Half down the throttle body. Drive no more then 300 miles. Replace oil filter and oil.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:32 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mdnov
It also is not a bad idea to change the oil if there was excessive carbon build up. When you let it soak for a bit you can loosen up a lot of crud in your engine.
True. Some people put it in the crank case as well just before an oil change, I personally don't like putting ethanol based products in my oil though.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:37 PM

^ Its only in there for 300 or less miles b4 you change your oil.plus seafoam backs that it will be fine dropping it into your crankcase.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by sthon
True. Some people put it in the crank case as well just before an oil change, I personally don't like putting ethanol based products in my oil though.
yeah im not going to put it in the oil, i dont like the idea of something with the consistency of water being put with the oil
Old 02-12-2012, 04:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: Several

I don't know about you, but most of us put oil in our engines to lubricate bearings, pistons etc.

Look it up Seafoam is pale oil 9light oil), Naptha, and alcohol.

Naptha and alcohol are solvents, meaning they break down the lubricating qualities of oii. Why don't you want your oil to lubricate anymore?

Those solvents don't dissolve Carbon - try soaking a carboned up piston in it - does nothing! Why would you put it in your intake?

They may dissolve gasoline varnish, may even do it as well as quality gas. Stop using cheapo and stale gas. Quality gas has the right additives to remove varnish.

SNAKE OIL!
Old 02-12-2012, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by rrich
I don't know about you, but most of us put oil in our engines to lubricate bearings, pistons etc.

Look it up Seafoam is pale oil 9light oil), Naptha, and alcohol.

Naptha and alcohol are solvents, meaning they break down the lubricating qualities of oii. Why don't you want your oil to lubricate anymore?

Those solvents don't dissolve Carbon - try soaking a carboned up piston in it - does nothing! Why would you put it in your intake?

They may dissolve gasoline varnish, may even do it as well as quality gas. Stop using cheapo and stale gas. Quality gas has the right additives to remove varnish.

SNAKE OIL!
Ive talked to many people who have seen it work in cleaning out carbon deposits, i dont use cheap gas, i am against putting it in with the oil but ill try it in the gas and throttle body, if i dont see a difference in anything then i wont do it again, but if i do then i will, i just want to see how it works for myself and i know that it wont hurt the engine if i use it the right way
Old 02-12-2012, 08:33 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by UsmclovesXJ
^ Its only in there for 300 or less miles b4 you change your oil.plus seafoam backs that it will be fine dropping it into your crankcase.
Is Seafoam going to replace your engine? I don't think so. To each his own though. I don't like the idea of putting ethanol in my oil. The fact that seafoam says you can add it to your oil w/o an oil change proves that is it BS. Diluting your oil with ethanol is not a good idea.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:35 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Here use the link on my signature, it'll show you everything you need for seafoam

P.s if you don't have signatures turned on, on your app let me know

Old 02-12-2012, 09:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: Several

The smoke isn't carbon from your engine, it's the crap you put in it.
Pour olive oil, MMO, 30 wt, gtsape - anything like that - get the same smoke.

Uh - if it cannot dissolve carbon on the bench soaking it overnight, what, makes anyone think it will in 20 minutes - 'cause you can't see it's not working?

Adding any liquid while it's running, water, grape juice, Vodka - anything - shatters the hot red hot carbon from the cooler liquid hitting it. That allows a bigger chunk to get under a valve so the piston can hit it. Valve stems look like Pretzels from the sudden cooling. If that's what you want, do it!

All Petroleum product - plastic is too - would you put that in too?

SNAKE OIL!
Old 02-12-2012, 09:41 PM

Meh....beats dumping brake fluid down the tb....-.-

Quick Reply: SeaFoam questions