Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Screwed up my ignition on my wife's 95 Jeep Cherokee, she's pissed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Screwed up my ignition on my wife's 95 Jeep Cherokee, she's pissed.

I was working on trying to get my auxiliary fan working. I was following the directions on checking the power center under the hood. Some headway with that. But after doing that, it no longer started. Engine turn, dash lights come on. Fuel pump works. Relays and fuses tested good.My garage man said to replace the distributor ignition pickup, did that. Replace the crankshaft position sensor about a year ago. But still no spark. Could I have burnt something out (module, fusible link, etc)? Thanks
Old 06-19-2013, 02:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

What directions were you following? That is, what did you do just before it wouldn't start?

Were you working on the the distributor since your garage man suggested replacing the distributor ignition pickup?
Old 06-19-2013, 06:30 PM

Thanks for answering.
I had replaced the distributor ignition pickup. And just this evening I replaced the CPS again. As for what was I doing just before. Working around the relays to get the auxiliary fan relays under the hood. Following basic instruction online to check problem. Jump sensor, jump where relay plugs in. Still no spark. Just wondering if there is a fusible link/wire somewhere that I might have fried.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:01 AM

Still hoping for some help here. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:16 PM

I am still trying to figure this out. Her is some more information. I disconnected the positive cable from the battery. The key in and in the on position. I connect the positive cable. I can hear the fuel pump go for few second. I can also hear and feel the Auto Shutdown Relay click on and then off right away. What could cause this to happen. Replace the ignition coil today and still no luck. Wires are good to coil. Help appreciated.
Roger
Old 06-24-2013, 07:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Have you checked codes? Swich auto relay with ac relay see if ya get same result . Fuel pump running for a few seconds in normal its priming .

Last edited by freegdr; 06-24-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RogerJW
Thanks for answering.
I had replaced the distributor ignition pickup. And just this evening I replaced the CPS again. As for what was I doing just before. Working around the relays to get the auxiliary fan relays under the hood. Following basic instruction online to check problem. Jump sensor, jump where relay plugs in. Still no spark. Just wondering if there is a fusible link/wire somewhere that I might have fried.
Explain jump sensor ?
Old 06-24-2013, 07:47 PM

Thanks again for you help.
Update.
Original problem was auxiliary fan. Temp sensor leads were jumped that turn on auxiliary fan to see if that was the problem. After playing around with everything and having out for a test drive earlier, all of a sudden, it decides not to start any more. Also, I just replaced the coil. In testing things today, I disconnected that positive battery cable. Key in ignition, turn on. When I reattach the positive cable to battery, fuel pump runs for a few second, the auto shutdown relay click on and then off again( I can hear and feel it), right away. The wires to coil have continuity. Engine turn over good, but still no spark and it appears, no power to one of the leads to the coil. One lead does have power.
Old 06-24-2013, 07:57 PM
CF Veteran

Update.
Original problem was auxiliary fan. Temp sensor leads were jumped that turn on auxiliary fan to see if that was the problem. After playing around with everything and having out for a test drive earlier, all of a sudden, it decides not to start any more. Also, I just replaced the coil. In testing things today, I disconnected that positive battery cable. Key in ignition, turn on. When I reattach the positive cable to battery, fuel pump runs for a few second, the auto shutdown relay click on and then off again( I can hear and feel it), right away. The wires to coil have continuity. Engine turn over good, but still no spark and it appears, no power to one of the leads to the coil. One lead does have power.
Coil replaced b4 or after issue ? Have you checked all fuses ?
Old 06-24-2013, 08:00 PM
CF Veteran

Update.
It ran after you jumped the plug to sensor ?
Old 06-24-2013, 08:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Update.
I have no idea what you were doing but that process you did (highlighted above) is NFG. You may have smoked the PCM.

That aside, replace the ASD relay and try it again.

The protocal is to disconnect the battery negative (-) cable, then disconnect the positive (+) cable, then when reinstalling the cables, reverse the process: (+) then (-).
Old 06-24-2013, 08:08 PM
CF Veteran

Would not jumping the plug to sensor be a no no seeing it controls two functions on 96 ? There are certain years drive shat rubs on o2 wiring causing asd issue but that usually blows a fuse also.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:10 PM

You jumped the leads to what sensor? The aux fan is turned on by a signal from the PCM, not directly by a sensor. I'm assuming the sensor you are talking about is the CTS in the thermostat housing but it might as well confirm.
Old 06-24-2013, 08:16 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Pelican
You jumped the leads to what sensor? The aux fan is turned on by a signal from the PCM, not directly by a sensor. I'm assuming the sensor you are talking about is the CTS in the thermostat housing but it might as well confirm.
Sensor signals ecm.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:05 PM

I understand that but I don't know that I've ever seen an instruction to jump the leads of the sensor (PCM input) to test for aux fan operation. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.) Unplug to test, yes.

It occurred to me that jumping the leads would apply to a Renix (pre '91) system with the switch for the aux fan in the radiator.

In any event, probably beside the point except for others who may be following the thread.

Quick Reply: Screwed up my ignition on my wife's 95 Jeep Cherokee, she's pissed.