Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

ScanGage, TPS & CL Code Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default ScanGage, TPS & CL Code Help

I have a 2000 Cherokee 4.0.

I am getting P0420 & P0456 codes consistently after clearing them.

P0420 has to do with the cat and P0456 is an emissions leak.

Ok, I will explain the situation. Upon startup (open loop) the smell of gas is pretty strong, at least stronger then I can remember it ever being. Is it normal to smell gas during warmup? I also have a very slight miss at idle, sometimes are worse than others, getting of of the highway and sitting at a red-light it seems to be more noticeable.

When watching the ScanGage gauge that monitors the Throttle Position, the number bounces around from 0 to 5 and around there at idle. If I rev it up and hold it at 1500 RPM, it will bounce around also. To me this doesn't seem to be normal. At idle I would think it should sit at 0 and not move because I am not moving the throttle plate. What do you all think? You think my TPS is bad?

From reading some other posts and forums regarding the cat code (420) it seems the things that will throw it could be a clogged cat, a misfire etc. With that being known and my symptoms of a misfire and the bouncing and eratic TPS reading I am getting from my ScanGauge, do you guys think my TPS is to blame for my P0420 code? If the TPS is causing it to miss, maybe the O2 sensor is picking it up causing the code show and the CEL to light up. What do you guys think?

As far as my emissions leak goes, I am open to all suggestions. I cleaned the cap seal but it actually looked good but it does seem to be the original. Also, when you guys remove your gas cap to fill up, do you guys hear pressure being released? Mine does not do this but I think I remember that it used to do it. Maybe it isn't holding pressure like it should and that the gas cap is the cause for my emissions code. What do you all think?

Again guys I am open to any and all suggestions. I appreciate any help you all can offer so thank you in advance.

The majority of the threads I have read do not have the outcome of problems so you can never tell if the person fixed it or not so I will be sure to update this thread accordingly to hopefully help out people in the future.

Thank you!
Old 10-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

It has 173k miles on it also.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999

Since the TPS is cheaper then most Cat work, I say try that out first... at 174K it's probably due or very soon.