Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

S.Y.E or not to S.Y.E.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990 2door
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default S.Y.E or not to S.Y.E.

I have a rig that originally was lifted (albeit...with the factory components) 3". I bought a "tuff country" 3.5" and, just going off of the rear bumper, actually added 4 + inches....Had death wobble, fixed it with a drop Pitman arm...But have had and recently more pronounced rear diff/driveshaft noise. I changed the u-joints/straps...The noise, as far as I can tell, only comes after I let up on the gas pedal. The gears in the diff look brand new. I figure it's either the wheel bearings, although no north/south play, or the yoke bearing. I apologize for the long windedness, but could I need an S.Y.E., even though I technically only raised the rig .5"? I'm not trying to waste anyone's time...I replaced the u-joints when I first got it a little over a year and half ago. This is my daily driver, so I only have the weekends to work on it...Again, I really do appreciate any help/advice anyone can give me...

Last edited by stan'sredxj; 12-22-2009 at 01:43 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1993

you can tell if you need an sye by looking at the rear drive shaft where it connects to the transfer case. When you get vibs or noise its from the u joint binding on itself and it marks the metal and you can see where it is happening. But i doubt that is your problem because when you need an sye its constant noise and it shakes the car to an extent. but Also you dont need one at only 3.5 inchs higher i would take a closer look at the noise maybe check the cat? something may be in it and when you let off the gas it can cause to knock around
Old 01-18-2010, 09:44 PM

Year: 1999

hey i was wondering if you had fixed the problem with your transfer case yet. i have that same problem when i let off the gas pedal, i hear like a grinding noise coming from the transfer case or rear. i have a 99 xj with a 3" lift. the only thing i did was replace the fluids but that didnt help. i've had this problem for a while now and cant seem to figure it out. if you have any ideas please let me know.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:55 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by bembas221
hey i was wondering if you had fixed the problem with your transfer case yet. i have that same problem when i let off the gas pedal, i hear like a grinding noise coming from the transfer case or rear. i have a 99 xj with a 3" lift. the only thing i did was replace the fluids but that didnt help. i've had this problem for a while now and cant seem to figure it out. if you have any ideas please let me know.
Have you lowered your transfer case with a T-case lowering kit?
Old 01-18-2010, 11:31 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by stan'sredxj
I have a rig that originally was lifted (albeit...with the factory components) 3". I bought a "tuff country" 3.5" and, just going off of the rear bumper, actually added 4 + inches....Had death wobble, fixed it with a drop Pitman arm...But have had and recently more pronounced rear diff/driveshaft noise. I changed the u-joints/straps...The noise, as far as I can tell, only comes after I let up on the gas pedal. The gears in the diff look brand new. I figure it's either the wheel bearings, although no north/south play, or the yoke bearing. I apologize for the long windedness, but could I need an S.Y.E., even though I technically only raised the rig .5"? I'm not trying to waste anyone's time...I replaced the u-joints when I first got it a little over a year and half ago. This is my daily driver, so I only have the weekends to work on it...Again, I really do appreciate any help/advice anyone can give me...

To answer your question honestly, I don't know. But...with a tid bit of research I might have a lead for you. How does this sound:

Deceleration vibration: Caused by the pinion being too low in relation to the transfer case output shaft. On leaf sprung vehicles, install axle shims to raise pinion accordingly.

And to cite my sources so that I don't get undue respect: http://rubiconexpress.com/Images/Pro...025/RE6025.pdf

Hope this helps.
s
Old 01-18-2010, 11:47 PM

no i haven't but i tried researching them and saw mixed opinions. if it is an easy install i will try one, but if you think its a good idea i will consider it. i also heard some of the installs are different on different year xj's.

Last edited by bembas221; 01-19-2010 at 12:03 AM. Reason: new to forum
Old 01-18-2010, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Metlic53
Have you lowered your transfer case with a T-case lowering kit?
no i haven't but i tried researching them and saw mixed opinions. if it is an easy install i will try one, but if you think its a good idea i will consider it. i also heard some of the installs are different on different year xj's.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 L

a transfer case drop takes about 5 minutes to do!
Old 01-19-2010, 12:23 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

a t-case drop is just a band aid. if u need one, u should go with a sye
Old 01-19-2010, 12:31 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

A stock jeep technically "needs" an SYE, because the output was poorly considered when it was decided on. however a TCL should fix it.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

a SYE is tooo expensive, if a transfer case lowering kit will fix it just do that. SYE are ridiculously expensive........
Old 01-19-2010, 09:27 PM

yeah after some research i'm def going to drop the transfer case. if i want to do it myself, is that all i need are some washers or do i need longer bolts too? i also don't think i need to drop it a whole inch. i haven't gotten the chance to climb under yet and check it all out so i dont know how many bolts there are to loosen and put the washers on.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:41 PM
CF Veteran

yeah after some research i'm def going to drop the transfer case. if i want to do it myself, is that all i need are some washers or do i need longer bolts too? i also don't think i need to drop it a whole inch. i haven't gotten the chance to climb under yet and check it all out so i dont know how many bolts there are to loosen and put the washers on.
should be two bolts on each side. you will need longer bolts im pretty sure. You can do washers and longer bolts if you want. I just bought the skyjacker TLC. Washers dont seem as safe to me but dont let me stop you. mine was 1 inch. i kept going through u-joints till i put the TLC on.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:42 PM
CF Veteran

I have a 3 inch lift with one inch TLC
Old 01-19-2010, 09:50 PM

i'm just going to order the drop kit then. thanks a lot for your help.

Quick Reply: S.Y.E or not to S.Y.E.