Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rusted LF spring perch

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rusted LF spring perch

I'm getting ready to install my 4-1/2 lift. While taking off the springs, I noticed that my passenger side spring bucket had some weird rust. I started hitting it with a screwdriver. Eventually the whole perch was gone. I hate Northeast Ohio vehicles!

What is the best way to replace the perch?

I hate to throwing out the whole axle, it's a high pinion with big u-joints and low miles.

I'm having a hard time finding another high pinion with big u-joints for less than $400. I hate to spend more money, but I would get some spare axle shafts.

I see Rusty's has these brackets.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...ry_Code=BP-B_S

I could have it all welded up for about $250, including brackets. Has anyone had luck with these brackets? It looks like the bump stop is lower. I would also need a different shock on the one side. I would also need to figure out how to do the sway bar mount. I don't know much about welding, and I'm concerned about the strenght.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

ive never seen anyone use them but you would probably have to change both sides as it would change your mounting location on the axle and definitely need new shocks
Old 06-15-2009, 05:44 PM

I just looked at it again. If I weld on a replacement bracket, I would also need to fab a stabilizer mount.

It's looking more, and more, like a new axle.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:45 PM
G_P

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H.O

This is EXACTLY what happened to me. I ignored it for a while until one day the whole damn axle came off of the left side at 45mph and damn near killed me. Chances are if the perch is that bad the rest of the mounts on that side are goners as well. I had a local shop source a new axle out of the junkyard and they ended up getting the axle along with all the related suspension for 300 bucks. The axle only has a few Kmiles on it as the 98 it came from wast totalled early in its life. Hell the paper assembly tags are still on the front coils.

Keep calling around. youll find an axle somewhere for less than 400 bones. Keep an eye on the classifieds. you may be able to get a whole non running XJ for less than 400.