Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rusey

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rusey

Hi all, My daughter just bought a XJ 97 4 litre petrol Cherokee sports with 2 computers. The first one (I think the original) works all the gauges but stops running after a few seconds(fuel immobilizer) the second computer in it the cars runs fine but none of the gauges work. Ive been told that you can reprogram the security because that light on the dash remains on all the time(not flashing) and then reprogram the immobilizer. Can someone tell me if this is true or has another way of fixing the problem
Old 08-05-2014, 07:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 296 Likes on 246 Posts
Year: 1997 (RHD)
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Is that 97 a post-update model (look at the front driver/passenger window: the post-update model has 1 window, the pre-update has the smaller quarter window as well)?

The engine immobiliser issue is not something you can easily bypass or reprogram. Was it because of this issue that the XJ she now has was actually sold by the previous owner?
Old 08-06-2014, 03:27 PM

Default immobilizer problem

Hi Roler, Yes, thats why my daughters friend sold it because of this issue.It was out of registration for quite some time.The latest that i have just been told is that all the security system was working fine when she drove it home from work,then the next morning she was locked out as the car would not open.So she called the good old locksmith which tried the break in through the drivers door barrell as you can see the dints around it but with no success but obviously she got in some how as my daughter is driving it around now.It is the single window model.One forum told me that the 97 xj sports did not come out with the factory fitted security so i don't know if it was fitted here when imported to australia.I'm on to Jeep Australia now but i'm glad i'm not holding my breath waiting for there reply.I just want it sorted even if we have to bypass all of the security and immobilizer if i can find out how to
Old 08-06-2014, 03:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

i don't think that your year came from the factory with a security system but you can always get the build sheet to make sure if it did or not. Here is the link that you can get your build sheet from. It is free and should take less the 24 hours to get it.
http://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/jeep/index.html
Old 08-06-2014, 07:59 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Rusey
Hi Roler, Yes, thats why my daughters friend sold it because of this issue.It was out of registration for quite some time.The latest that i have just been told is that all the security system was working fine when she drove it home from work,then the next morning she was locked out as the car would not open.So she called the good old locksmith which tried the break in through the drivers door barrell as you can see the dints around it but with no success but obviously she got in some how as my daughter is driving it around now.It is the single window model.One forum told me that the 97 xj sports did not come out with the factory fitted security so i don't know if it was fitted here when imported to australia.I'm on to Jeep Australia now but i'm glad i'm not holding my breath waiting for there reply.I just want it sorted even if we have to bypass all of the security and immobilizer if i can find out how to
Ah, didn't know you were in Oz too.
Don't expect any great help from Jeep Australia. Bit confused here ,as in you mention two things: she being locked out of the jeep and the other thing: the immobilizer. These are separate systems.

The Xj's in OZ (like the updates we have) had to have the immobilizer installed , it was "the law". Since my immobilizer plays up every now and then, I looked extensively into it to see if there was a way around it. Long story short: you can't disarm it, nor bypass it. A lot of info in the forums around the globe, but the best thing people came up with is trying to install a PCM (your car's computer) which does NOT have the immob feature (like in the US)....

You stated you (or she) has two PCM's now? Do you know what year they are for and where they are from?
Old 08-07-2014, 03:23 PM

Default Fuel Immobilizer problem

Thanks for the info. I do not know where she got the second pcm from (I'd say a second hand one from the motor wreckers) I'll get my daughter to find out off her friend aswell i'll get any identifications numbers on them and let you know.I'm confused now because If the working pcm is a second hand one why does the car run and not shut down like with the other pcm in it that works the gauges.I'll also let me daughter know that she might have to get a pcm from the states without the fuel immobilizer feature,But will that garrantee the problem solved as i'd say it wouldn't be cheap
Old 08-07-2014, 03:40 PM
CF Veteran

I haven't done it myself, so can't guarantee it. It's a theory that I came across several times when reading up on this.
THe "other" PCM might be a pre-update one, without the immob feature, but maybe causes issues with the gauges due to other differences, I'd reckon. Not too much experience with combining pre- and post-update parts.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:51 PM

Default Fuel Immobilizer problem

Hi roller. If i get another pcm from the states that does not have the fuel immobilizer feature.Will it come with new remote keys and will it get the security alarm working again as i'd say that if it was law for the export models to have the immobilizer feature fitted i'd say that it would also have the factory fitted alarm system as well.I have all the numbers of the pcm that works the gauges but i'm waiting for my daughter to send me the numbers of the working pcm which has different numbers my daughter says