Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rule of thumb . . .

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rule of thumb . . .

Hello

First of all yes I have searched and haven't found the answer I'm looking for . . . .

I'm a newb to the Jeep world (and the 4x4 world sort of) but do have worked on cars plenty . . .

I just got my first Jeep (a 2000 Classic in Beautiful Shape) I've found out (thanks to forum ) that I have a low pinion axle that can cause vibration issues with significant lift . . .

So . . Is there any basic rule as to how much lift this axle can take without causing issues? . . I'm not looking for anything to crazy at this point just something to give me a little more clearance/flex so I can get my feet muddy. Feel free to even sugjest a brand. As I know Jacksh** about jeeps/lifts The jeep needs new tires anyway so I figure I might as well do the lift now and get larger tires while I'm at it . . .

Thanks for any Help/in-put and any general tips/ideas are appreciated
Old 03-17-2011, 07:11 PM

Just relized I posted this in the OEM section

Mod's please feel free to move sorry
Old 03-17-2011, 08:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

i've got a 2000 model 4dr with 4.5 rough country lift. I haven't installed a transfer case drop or anything and have no vibes. it differs per xj but you should be okay with a little lift. And for the most part its not the front axle that causes the vibrations and problems, its the drive shaft for the rear axle. The front does well as long as everything is good and tight and the bushings aren't worn out.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:35 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 6 in a row makes it go

Originally Posted by dar83
i've got a 2000 model 4dr with 4.5 rough country lift. I haven't installed a transfer case drop or anything and have no vibes. it differs per xj but you should be okay with a little lift. And for the most part its not the front axle that causes the vibrations and problems, its the drive shaft for the rear axle. The front does well as long as everything is good and tight and the bushings aren't worn out.
i agree. If u are not looking for anything crazy, i'd suggest a basic 3 inch lift with an add a leaf if ur stock springs are still in good shape. As said in the post above, a 4.5 would even be sufficient enough and not cause any problems. I'd suggest doing a brake line extension though, it may seem like the stock ones reach fine, but when it comes to articulation, slack in the lines is never a bad thing. I would recommend a T-case drop on anything over 3" of lift even though plenty of guys run a 4.5 without a drop.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

4.5". You can go that much and play with your front castor and get it so it doesn't vibe. Beyond that you will need to either put a double cardan joint on the pinion or change it out for a high pinion axel.
Old 03-19-2011, 02:22 PM

Alright sounds like the general opinion is 3-4.5 . . . So how difficult is a t-case drop for a drive way amateur.

Any other advice on which lift kit to get . . . If possible I'd like something that would allow me to expand. . . If that is possible/makes sense . . . .
Old 03-19-2011, 03:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by Fraz
Alright sounds like the general opinion is 3-4.5 . . . So how difficult is a t-case drop for a drive way amateur.

Any other advice on which lift kit to get . . . If possible I'd like something that would allow me to expand. . . If that is possible/makes sense . . . .
all they are is spacers between crossmemb er and unibody with longer bolts very basic
Old 03-19-2011, 09:21 PM

Cool . . . Looked 'em up an yeah doesn't look to bad. So I think I'll definAtely go with a 4.5 lift.

So . . . Whats a good (don't mind paying for a quality product) 4.5 lift that would allow for further upgrades . . .
Old 03-19-2011, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 120000 miles

hardest part of a t/c drop is getting the studs out use lots of pb blaster or liquid wrench
Old 03-19-2011, 09:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Fraz

look into rough country's kits I run an rc kit and love it, on a scale 1-10 on installing a tcase drop id give it a 2, if ur worryed about that just wait to u put the lift in ( if u do it urself) if this is ur first time doin a lift be prepared for a long day... A very long day.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:13 PM

lol Yeah I figure it'll be a long day . . . maybe couple of days . . . gotta figure out if the Jeep would be able to get back out of the garage after the lift . . . would suck to lift it in the garage and then relize I can't put the wheels on it lol

What's everyone's opinon on RE lifts . . I'm reading about RC's as well, but I like to consider more than one option . . .
Old 03-19-2011, 11:41 PM

Engine: 4.0 L

RE is unfortunately out of commission for the time being. Check out this sticky in the Advanced Tech area: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/xj...mpanies-76868/

This should overload you with info on some of what's out there
Old 03-20-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by GreenJay
RE is unfortunately out of commission for the time being. Check out this sticky in the Advanced Tech area: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/xj...mpanies-76868/

This should overload you with info on some of what's out there
Wow . . I seriously feel stupid, i totally missed that sticky. That is a very informative one, thank you Sir
Old 03-20-2011, 11:05 PM

Engine: 4.0 L

Not a problem.