Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Rpm surging

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Rpm surging

Before any flaming I have done plenty of research and just plain stumped. Originally I thought I was having a shifting problem. Oh sorry I have a 90 Cherokee auto. So I checked the trans control module and was able to shift manually with no problems and worked just fine for a bit. Then it would surge again. But only a few hundred rpms. So then I came to the conclusion that the torque converter keeps locking and unlocking. I checked the TPS and was fine, I checked the kick down cable and nothing. Now its worse an for the fun part. I can drive down a smooth highway no probs and then turn left, hit a bump, or what ever and it's like its flickering locking and unlocking before it just stops locking up. But if I come to a complete stop its like it resets and is fine till I hit another bump inthe road.
I am dreading at this point the torque converter is bad. Funds are tight and it's my daily truck. And I am all out of ideas.
I was thinking maybe a low fluid level, but fluids are fine, could it be a clogged journal inside the trans?

Please any advice from making me pull out what hair I have left.