Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

ROYAL PURPLE

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 05:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default ROYAL PURPLE

So I saw something on the Internet and it HAS to be true right?! Long story short someone said that royal purple engine oil made their oil pressure Jump up to about 60 from 40 while driving at 60mph. Anyone have experience with this? Is this complete crap? Or is this oil actually worth it?
Old 05-08-2015, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998

Its possibly but warning I've had a few customers actually have engine problems while using this oil but I've also had customers who love this oil but never anyone with higher oil pressure!

Originally Posted by JPXJMOAB
So I saw something on the Internet and it HAS to be true right?! Long story short someone said that royal purple engine oil made their oil pressure Jump up to about 60 from 40 while driving at 60mph. Anyone have experience with this? Is this complete crap? Or is this oil actually worth it?
Old 05-08-2015, 10:21 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 98XJSPORTSATINJADED
Its possibly but warning I've had a few customers actually have engine problems while using this oil but I've also had customers who love this oil but never anyone with higher oil pressure!
engine problems? Please clarify.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 4.0

I know a lot of people who use it from a DD to several Top Fuel dragsters who run it in everything. I have never heard of any issues with it for any apps, well maybe other than price.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997

I always thought it was an overpriced gimmick. brand of motor oil will not increase your oil pressure near as much as viscosity. I'm out before the pressure vs flow lecture.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:23 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Originally Posted by s346k
I always thought it was an overpriced gimmick. brand of motor oil will not increase your oil pressure near as much as viscosity. I'm out before the pressure vs flow lecture.
+1 to the whole thing. Also of note is that a new clean filter will increase the amount of pressure shown on the gauge. Especially so if one goes from a cheap clogged filter to a nice low-restriction unit. Just changing out a clogged filter to a new one of the same type can result in a change of up to 8 PSI.

And, for what it's worth, Royal Purple has always seemed like a marketing gimmick to me. Their site doesn't even have any technical data! If I was spending that money it would be on AMSOIL.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995

Originally Posted by salad
+1 to the whole thing. Also of note is that a new clean filter will increase the amount of pressure shown on the gauge. Especially so if one goes from a cheap clogged filter to a nice low-restriction unit. Just changing out a clogged filter to a new one of the same type can result in a change of up to 8 PSI.

And, for what it's worth, Royal Purple has always seemed like a marketing gimmick to me. Their site doesn't even have any technical data! If I was spending that money it would be on AMSOIL.
Don't we have a thread going on the various benefits of Earl in its many guises? Lol. Back to the topic, agree with other comments, oil itself would not cause a pressure spike like described. I suspect that the person who reported the issue had other unresolved mechanical troubles. Not that anyone would ever blame an oil for years of neglect and lack of upkeep....
Old 05-09-2015, 03:49 PM

Mainly issues such as loud lifters and engine knocks like the oil just isnt doing its job pretty much (Yet No damage was ever done to these vechiles) I worked at advance for a few years and have had numerous complaints of this! Even one of my co workers put some in his trans am and wow i thought the engine was surely done for it was making a loud noise from inside by the bottom of the block ( Never figured out where) but he changed the oil and never heard it again. Im not saying its a bad oil its just honestly not worth the money. I say shell rotella t is always the way to go!!

engine problems? Please clarify.
Old 05-09-2015, 10:48 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 98XJSPORTSATINJADED
Mainly issues such as loud lifters and engine knocks like the oil just isnt doing its job pretty much (Yet No damage was ever done to these vechiles) I worked at advance for a few years and have had numerous complaints of this! Even one of my co workers put some in his trans am and wow i thought the engine was surely done for it was making a loud noise from inside by the bottom of the block ( Never figured out where) but he changed the oil and never heard it again. Im not saying its a bad oil its just honestly not worth the money. I say shell rotella t is always the way to go!!
well everything I've seen about engine noise that you said is wrong .. Not saying you're wrong but I've always heard the opposite
Old 05-10-2015, 12:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

High oil pressure, like high blood pressure, is bad.

It is a restriction to flow.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:35 AM

Well it does not happen to everyone hahaha!! I'm guessing certain engines don't take this oil well and maybe some do but as stated I'm not trying to make the oil sound bad at all some people say it does good for others not so good.

well everything I've seen about engine noise that you said is wrong .. Not saying you're wrong but I've always heard the opposite
Old 05-10-2015, 08:48 AM
CF Veteran

Why play Russian Roulette with your oil and an expensive engine?

Use Mobil 1 or a good conventional, a WIX filter, and you're golden.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:44 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Firestorm500
Why play Russian Roulette with your oil and an expensive engine? Use Mobil 1 or a good conventional, a WIX filter, and you're golden.
I usually use rotella. I was just questioning the product.. I don't think I'd ever have so much faith in a product to spend double on it
Old 05-10-2015, 03:49 PM
CF Veteran

I usually use rotella. I was just questioning the product.. I don't think I'd ever have so much faith in a product to spend double on it
Well it's OK to do that if said product has scientific, repeatable and testable results proving its superiority.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:29 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Firestorm500
Well it's OK to do that if said product has scientific, repeatable and testable results proving its superiority.
that's why I thought of others opinions who have used it .. But results seem to be ... It's just over priced! I've got my answer. Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply: ROYAL PURPLE