Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Right Interior Door Handle

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Right Interior Door Handle

I need to replace the right interior door handle on my '99 XJ. It seems hard to find that part, but the one for the wrangler is easily available. I know that they are different but appear somewhat similar online. Does anyone know if it could fit and function, even if it is a little off?
Old 04-13-2018, 01:28 PM

Well, I guess I can answer my own question. I found that a local parts store had one of the wrangler handles. It will not work. It is much smaller than the one for the Cherokee.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Post a picture. Let's see if it's a match for the 97 I'm parting out.
Old 04-14-2018, 11:20 AM

I found one on Ebay for $43. It is rather high but since I did not find any others and got impatient, I bought it. Here's the link with the picture:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Inner-Inter...RatBTD&vxp=mtr

However, If you are parting out an XJ that uses the same parts, there is one door part that I do need. It is the left (driver's) side rod that connects the door handle to the door lock. Let me know if you have that. Thanks
Old 04-16-2018, 07:31 AM
CF Veteran

Yeah, it's a match, and I would have sold it for $25 shipped. Oh, well!
Old 04-17-2018, 07:18 PM

What about the driver's door rod that connects the lock/unlock rocker to the door lock mechanism?
Old 04-17-2018, 09:22 PM
CF Veteran

I've got it. Send me a PM and we'll talk.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000

Seeing how these are glued in. Not really sure how to describe it or what the process is called. Hoping you will post exactly how you installed this.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee

Have you checked your local junkyard or pull-apart for a door panel? I was able to unscrew the door handle mechanism and pry it off entirely off a local XJ's door panel. The door handle piece has slight indentations/tabs which keep it locked onto the door panel. I did unfortunately break one of the indentations/tabs as I rushed the job, so I do have to push the bezel/frame of it back into place at times, but this is something that only I notice as it is so slight. This would be easy enough to resolve with a bit of sealant, but this problem is also so infrequent that I haven't bothered.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:09 AM

BlueRidgeMark: Thanks, I think I am going to wait on that part since I know I have mine around here somewhere.

Ralph77: Mine was not actually glued in but had small tabs that came through holes on the frame of the part. Those tabs were squashed by melting to holes in the handle apron. Also, the front had a rectangular (sort of) trim that clipped on to further secure the handle assembly. I just used some small screws to mount the new piece where the old one went. However, I could not get the trim piece to grab, so I just lightly glued that in place for cosmetics. I think the screws will hold it fine though.

Shotseven: I considered going to a salvage yard, but there is only one locally that is about 20 miles away. Because it would involve a couple of hours investment with the possibility of not find the part, I decided to grab what was available and swallow the price. On the upside, it was brand new OEM. This Jeep had not asked anything of me for a good while, and I was now taking care of several deferred door issues to restore its (and my) self respect.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:41 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by goldensam
Ralph77: Mine was not actually glued in but had small tabs that came through holes on the frame of the part. Those tabs were squashed by melting to holes in the handle apron. Also, the front had a rectangular (sort of) trim that clipped on to further secure the handle assembly. I just used some small screws to mount the new piece where the old one went. However, I could not get the trim piece to grab, so I just lightly glued that in place for cosmetics. I think the screws will hold it fine though.
I have taken apart a couple panels. Used a Dremel tool to get those melted tabs off. I just described it wrong. But always wondered what you do about putting something back on like a door handle. I figured you would screw it back in but also was thinking if you are not in the exact right position the handle and lock rods might not operate as they should. Bind up a little and whatnot. Appears I worry to much. Thank you for following up with your repair and letting me know.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

They are not glued in, unless someone else was in there before. The pad has posts on it that fit thru holes in the door panel. Six of them are for the door handle. The door handle is placed over those posts and they are in turn heated, forming what looks like a rivet head. There isnt much post to grab but its doable, Dont use too long a screw are you risk punching thru the pad. I suggest using a dremel as well to trim the edges of the "rivets". A knife works to pry the heads off, but you risk taking off too much of the post and the screw has less to grab onto.

Here is a Youtube video on fixing an armrest that came loose. It mounts the same way as the pad and door handle.

I dont remember if i had to remove it, but the trim ring around the door handle is held in place with tabs that snap into place. IIRC, it clips to the pad?
Old 04-21-2018, 02:28 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
They are not glued in, unless someone else was in there before. The pad has posts on it that fit thru holes in the door panel. Six of them are for the door handle. The door handle is placed over those posts and they are in turn heated, forming what looks like a rivet head. There isnt much post to grab but its doable, Dont use too long a screw are you risk punching thru the pad. I suggest using a dremel as well to trim the edges of the "rivets". A knife works to pry the heads off, but you risk taking off too much of the post and the screw has less to grab onto.

Here is a Youtube video on fixing an armrest that came loose. It mounts the same way as the pad and door handle.

I dont remember if i had to remove it, but the trim ring around the door handle is held in place with tabs that snap into place. IIRC, it clips to the pad?
See I always figured that the posts, before they melt them on the inside, is what gives position. And as you pointed out trying to get an old one off you can take too much off the post. Now with an arm rest who cares. Something like a door handle I think would have to be more on the money cause of the lock and handle rods. The geometry of it.

You are right the outer trim ring on a door handle assembly clips on. 6 clips.
Old 04-21-2018, 12:29 PM

Thanks all for your help. I don't know why I could not get the interior bezel to reattached. The holes on the new assembly fit over the old pin stubs to position it, but it just seemed to be a bit too tight for the bezel clips to grab. Considering the the unit is screwed in place directly to the door through the screw hole behind the handle, I don't see how it could really move much. The only thing that could happen is the screws could back out from vibration. I should have used some locking substance. Anyway, if that happens it will be an easy fix.