Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Installing interior door handle

Old 03-18-2009, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Installing interior door handle

Does anyone know how to install an interior door handle? It was held on by what looked like melted on plastic. There do seem to be locations to push in something hex shaped. is that what I'm supposed to do? And if so what are the parts called.
thanks in advance
Old 03-18-2009, 02:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Those plastic clips are used to hold the door lock rod and door handle rod in place on the handle assembly. They snap into the handle assembly first, the rod slide into the plastic clip, and then the clip snaps over the rod to secure it. They are easy to break when removing them, but are available at any parts supplier.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:18 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by winston427
Those plastic clips are used to hold the door lock rod and door handle rod in place on the handle assembly. They snap into the handle assembly first, the rod slide into the plastic clip, and then the clip snaps over the rod to secure it. They are easy to break when removing them, but are available at any parts supplier.

I don't mean the clips that hold the rods. If you take off the door panel and look at the interior handle assembly you will see that it(the handle) is held on ( to the panel) by four melted plastic pieces.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:21 PM

Default Did you find a solution?

Did you ever find out how to replace the interior lock assembly? I see there are several threads started on this topic but can not find a solution. The plastic part where the rod attaches broke and I was able to find parts at a salvage yard but now need to know best way to install the replacement assembly. Thanks.