Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Reving to the moon?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 09:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Reving to the moon?

Hey, I am new here and have a problem with my '99 Cherokee. When got the car the people before us had poured a ton of stop leak in the rad to fix a leak...well it has been fine up until 2-3 days ago when it kept building pressure and eventually blew the rad. So I replace it and then it just kept popping the vent on the rad cap. So I replace the head gasket and find that ALL the water jackets are clogs on the gasket and partially on the head...well we get all that fixed new gasket on and intake/exhaust gasket is new and valve cover gasket is new...button all up and go to see if the problem is fixed and it revs like a have my foot on the pedal all the way down. I have tried to listen for vacuum leaks but with it running the way it is we don't let it run for longer than 1-2 secs. I think the intake isn't line-up properly or vacuum and my helper thinks we broke/damaged the tps or iac in the process. Any advice is helpful because I am at a lose.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:45 PM
CF Veteran

Year: Jeepless at the moment

Spray carb cleaner along intake if/when it stumbles thats our leak if you removed the injectors check those you may need new orings, plug/unplug IAC, TPS see it that makes a difference
Old 05-29-2010, 09:46 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

When you tightened down the intake manifold you have broken it by cyllinder number four. That is where the locator pin is on the bottom. Take a flash light and shine it into the throttle body and you will see light under the intake.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by fishtaconc
Spray carb cleaner along intake if/when it stumbles thats our leak if you removed the injectors check those you may need new orings, plug/unplug IAC, TPS see it that makes a difference
Injectors werent removed just unplugged. IAC makes no difference. TPS removed it doesnt start at all just turns over and over.

Originally Posted by Willys55
When you tightened down the intake manifold you have broken it by cyllinder number four. That is where the locator pin is on the bottom. Take a flash light and shine it into the throttle body and you will see light under the intake.
How do you know its by number 4? That does make sense considering putting my hand over the throttle body doesnt make a difference...
Old 05-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Cool

That is the reason I KNOW it is broke. It is pulling un metered air directly into the manifold AFTER the throttle body.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:03 PM

Not sayings its not crack I was just curious to how you knew it was around number 4...That makes lots of sense because the guy that helped me actually torque the **** of the bolts...
Old 05-29-2010, 10:09 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Cool

I don't advertise in my signature but I'm an ASE Master Auto Mechanic and ASE Master Medium Heavy Truck Mechanic. I hold 13 certifcations in repair and design of of Hydraulic circuits and control systems. I also drive Medium/ Heavy Duty Wrecker. I have over 30 years of Hands on experience, and I have towed that very problem into my shop at least a dozen times in the last 5 years. I'm sorry but when the manifold was tightened down it was not correctly seated and cracked because of the stress on that locating pin. Sorry again, Russ
Old 05-29-2010, 10:17 PM

Once again not arguing and like I said what you say makes tons of sense! Cant check it right now because its not at my house but I will certainly check it first chance. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-29-2010, 10:31 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Cool

Your welcome, I hope you get it all straightened out soon.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:23 PM

My brother checked it out and said he saw no light coming around the intake bottom or top...
Old 05-30-2010, 12:31 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

I have this problem in my jeep some times. Try this. Find the wires to ur tps. Find the connector. Start the jeep either with it not plugged in or un plug it if it revs up. If u leave it unplugged then start it you might get a rev up for a sec then it will drop to idle. Not saying that is ur problem but that is mine and its similar. Just an easy way to check ur tps.
Thanks
Old 05-30-2010, 02:08 AM

I have unplugged the tps and it doesnt crank...it just turns over and over...
Old 05-30-2010, 06:55 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Look at the intake again...............use a spot mirror and flashlight or what ever means of extra light you have and look at the intake very carefully. It is cracked
Old 05-30-2010, 09:10 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Weou09
I have unplugged the tps and it doesnt crank...it just turns over and over...
Ok. Mine is older it will still start. Have u tried to start it with the tps plugged in then hop out or have someone unplug it while running and see if it drops. Maybe my idea is wrong but it works for me.