Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Reversing lights issues + window/door lock issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Reversing lights issues + window/door lock issue

Hi all

Getting the new purchase ready for its mot, and have a small problem, can not get reversing lights to work, bulbs are fine, check all lights fuses,is there something im missing.Did wonder if hte gear box had a reverse sensor(switch) that may be faulty, if so where will i find one on the xj, our manuals are not really helpfull.

2nd problem changed over the main rocker switchs for window nad door locks but they still wont allow power to windows or doors to open or unlock etc. Any ideas, i've checked the fuses.

both are prob something really simple that we have missed any help is appreciated.

many thanks
Old 06-13-2009, 11:27 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by Cryosi
Hi all

Getting the new purchase ready for its mot, and have a small problem, can not get reversing lights to work, bulbs are fine, check all lights fuses,is there something im missing.Did wonder if hte gear box had a reverse sensor(switch) that may be faulty, if so where will i find one on the xj, our manuals are not really helpfull.

2nd problem changed over the main rocker switchs for window nad door locks but they still wont allow power to windows or doors to open or unlock etc. Any ideas, i've checked the fuses.

both are prob something really simple that we have missed any help is appreciated.

many thanks
It may be the NSS (neutral safety switch) there is a writeup here on fixing that. http://jeepin.com/features/nss/index.asp
The problem with the windows and locks may be the relays or fuses under the hood...Tj
Old 06-13-2009, 12:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

or a grounding issue......my pass widow wont roll up unless the driver door is closed.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

NSS as Trekker said and the connection for the older door locks was in the kick panel so I would verify that it is not corroded as well as checking the aforementioned fuses and relays.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:01 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 4 banger....my ***

Originally Posted by TrekkerJmm
It may be the NSS (neutral safety switch) there is a writeup here on fixing that. http://jeepin.com/features/nss/index.asp
The problem with the windows and locks may be the relays or fuses under the hood...Tj

x2 I'm cleaning mine this weekend I'll get back to ya with the results.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:05 PM

thanks will check the nss fix and have a look. will let you know.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:06 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 4 banger....my ***

Originally Posted by Cryosi
thanks will check the nss fix and have a look. will let you know.

right on man I may do it tonight not sure yet!

BTW the cheapest NSS i have seen here is $170 US! I'll spend 2 for the dielectric grease since i already have contact cleaner.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:01 PM

thanks for the nss fix it worked a treat. gonna take my other jeep apart and do that one, so i know its good and clean also.

still not sure on window/door locks, have checked wires, and run a lead to battery and can get power dso not sure if its a break in cable or where factory alarm has been disconected(by last owner) and the wires needs moving??? no idea....
Old 06-14-2009, 09:11 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0l

My 96 had window and door lock problems that gradually worsened. They would work if I closed the door, but not when the door was open. After the passenger window went down and would not go back up, I took it to the dealer to get the window back up. Rain was forcast for the next afternoon. A mechanic friend at the dealer informed me that the wiring cable going from the kick panel into the drivers side door, after time, will break from the constant opening and closing the door. I had 5 broken wires that would make contact off and on. This was why the windows and locks worked now and then.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 1995 ZJ 4.0

Originally Posted by Bigclubs
My 96 had window and door lock problems that gradually worsened. They would work if I closed the door, but not when the door was open. After the passenger window went down and would not go back up, I took it to the dealer to get the window back up. Rain was forcast for the next afternoon. A mechanic friend at the dealer informed me that the wiring cable going from the kick panel into the drivers side door, after time, will break from the constant opening and closing the door. I had 5 broken wires that would make contact off and on. This was why the windows and locks worked now and then.
You know that really helps me alot now that I think of it. I have the locking prob and I have to open and shut my doors for my speakers to work so the wires being broken in the door makes sense thanks I'm going to check that out.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:29 AM

Year: 1993
Engine: Renault 2.1 Td

Hi, I am assuming the NSS is only applicable to automatic transmissions ? I have a manual XJ 1993 any chance of some advice on diagnosing why my reversing lights dont work?