Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

getting a better MPG question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting a better MPG question.

What can I do to get a better MPG on a 4 banger ?
Just wondering because it seems like my gas doesn't last aslong as it has to ... :/
Old 07-28-2008, 07:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

1. HMMMM gut it out to decrease weight.

2. Trade it for a Metro.

3. More practical Allow more air in and out is the easiest way. And also a tune up will help.

AIR IN = Cold Air Intake

Air Out = Performance Exhaust.

Hope this helps ya a lil, but the 4 banger will struggle to move our 4500 hundred pound cherokees no matter
Old 07-28-2008, 08:07 PM

Year: 94
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Hey Stinger.. I'm not sure how this transposes to jeeps, but on my rover, I upgraded to 8mm magnecor plug wires, new OEM plugs, and k&n airbox/filter. granted, the parts ran around $250 (I paid way too much for the wires) so the mileage gain really wasn't worth it, but I did pick up around 1.5mpg. ...and yes, she's still a pig! Premium grade fuels (93 or higher) do make a small difference, but not enough to justify the price difference IMHO!

A guy I work with (wrencher for pay) insists that running your tires at the max rated psi helps fuel economy as well...I've not tried it, so I can't confirm.

Not that I reccomend it, but depending on your states emissions control standards/inspections, and your "E-conscience", you will pick up a bit of economy if you "lose" your cat. conv. ...fyi...doing this may indeed throw the CEL at ya!

Mainly, smoother take offs, slower driving, and a smooth as possible running engine are just about all you can do.

Let us know what you try and the results so we all can benefit!

Best of luck!
~Rovin
Old 07-28-2008, 08:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90

Put your Jeep on a diet.. If you don't have a need for it, get rid of it.

Lose the 31" tires and go back to the stock 205-215(whichever they were). The less friction on the road, the less energy needed to keep the jeep moving. Run your tires close to the max inflation. Same idea..less friction. less energy.

A tune-up in general and making sure your vehicle is in good running order should be your first things.

I won't even begin to comment on the foolish idea of removing a properly operating convertor. But we are locked in struggle for access to our public lands with groups that will stop it nothing to shut us out. Reality and truth do not matter to them. Why give them one more piece of actual evidence against us? Removing your catalytic convertor is a violation of federal law. It is a crime. You personally could be punished by up to 1 year in a federal prison and a $10,000 fine.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:36 PM

Yeah I know my mustang has O/R H pipe and what not , I just don't know what way to go with the jeep , but I guess ill start off with the intake .
Old 07-28-2008, 08:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer

Originally Posted by 96CherokeeStinger
Yeah I know my mustang has O/R H pipe and what not , I just don't know what way to go with the jeep , but I guess ill start off with the intake .

Just intake well that would be a start. But if you allow more air in it will have to have a place to exit so to really get any real gains you have to do the exhaust also. What kind of mileage are you getting anyway.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:45 PM

Well yeah ofcourse .

But intake first then the exhaust after for sure .
Old 07-29-2008, 03:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ
Engine: 4.0L

I have found, for our XJ's, no matter what size engine, the best thing for better gas mileage is to have a really big, really dumb friend that loves to PUSH.

On the serious side: Yes, better IN...better OUT.

Even if as simple as removing incoming air restrictions and upgrading to an aftermarket cat-back system.

Someone school me here. The XJ 2.5L is that a Chrysler 2.5 or more like a GM 2.5 Iron Duke???
Old 07-29-2008, 03:21 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991

I think the 2.5 s Chryco and the 2.8 is GM...I could be wrong though...

MPG savings
1: remove the lead from the foot
2: run injector cleaner once a month
3: change fuel filter twice a year
4: annual tuneups a must
5: keep an eye on sensors to make sure they are running properly
6: check and clean your O2 sensor/s ever so often.
7: as others air in and out flow must be un restricting
8: See if you are using the 10% ethanol blended fuels. If you are well mpg's will suck no matter what. In Oklahoma stations must post if they sell 10% ethanol blends..Just and FYI most of your big name stations do or at least in oklahoma..
9: High Mileage engines could use some sea foam once a year as well to clean out carbon build up.
10: Make sure joint are all lubed and greased..like TRE,U-joints and so on..
11: Tire pressure...On the highway in non wet,snow or icy weather run max PSI for better MPG's
12: stay around 60-65 mph on the highway
13: Plan trips to the store and what not..Plan the route so that you drive the least mileage and still do everything you need..

I think that covers my thoughts and I know many have already hit on some of those..

Last edited by okcjeeper; 07-29-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90

Originally Posted by Howler_GT
I have found, for our XJ's, no matter what size engine, the best thing for better gas mileage is to have a really big, really dumb friend that loves to PUSH.

On the serious side: Yes, better IN...better OUT.

Even if as simple as removing incoming air restrictions and upgrading to an aftermarket cat-back system.

Someone school me here. The XJ 2.5L is that a Chrysler 2.5 or more like a GM 2.5 Iron Duke???
The XJ 2.5L is the AMC 2.5L. No relation to the Chryco 2.5L found in the Lebaron,Sundance,etc,etc,etc. The other one that went into the Dakotas is a similar motor.

The Iron Duke was in the CJ's.. but its what AMC replaced with their 2.5L
Old 07-29-2008, 07:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Comanche
Engine: I6 4.0L

Change your driving habbits you would be surprised how far u can streach a gallon of gas dont rush to red lights dont take off so fast dont go over 65 on the freeway and use cruise control (if you have it) if not dont pulse on the gas smooth motions can u can streach it to get 2 or 3 miles per gallon just by changing all that
Old 07-29-2008, 07:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 94 XJ

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
MPG savings
1: remove the lead from the foot

I think that covers my thoughts and I know may have already hit on some of those..
Mine came factory as leaded.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:11 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Originally Posted by Howler_GT
Mine came factory as leaded.
Then you have a factory defect. Lead is bad for the environment and humans in general.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1990 2dr base

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
Then you have a factory defect. Lead is bad for the environment and humans in general.
I don no bout that, i be playen with chines toys and eating paint for years.....

Ant messed me up at all.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:10 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Originally Posted by ColoradoJeepXJ
I don no bout that, i be playen with chines toys and eating paint for years.....
Ant messed me up at all.
Well I will have to admit it has done wonders for you Colorado. Your spelling has improved tremendously since your lead ingestion has increased. So in your case I stand corrected.

Quick Reply: getting a better MPG question.