Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Reverse lights don't work

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Reverse lights don't work

The reverse lights on my '93 XJ with AX 15 trans don't work when the transmission is in reverse. All other lights work; headlights, taillights, brakes, turn signals, etc. I've checked the bulbs for the reverse lights and they look fine. I've checked the fuse for the reverse lights as well its fine too. What I'm thinking could be causing the issue is either the reverse switch itself (weird thing about my reverse switch, is there is no connector in between the wiring from the switch all the way to the fuse block in the engine bay. Its just one long wire, and I figured there would be one for ease of transmission dropping/maintenance.) Or I'm thinking it could be the trailer wiring the PO installed as it looks iffy and looks like it was a hack job. But since you don't need reverse lights on a trailer, (unless it's a fancy trailer) I'm not sure if this is the issue.

What is causing this issue? Could it be just one of these things or multiple? Im honestly not very good with figuring out electronic issues so the more help the better.

Thanks!
Old 10-24-2016, 09:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Have any issues starting your jeep? Does it start in neutral?

Could be your neutral safety switch, really easy to clean and adjust.

http://bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neut...ty-switch-nss/

EDIT: Derp, just saw you said you have an ax15....
Old 10-27-2016, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by LACK
Have any issues starting your jeep? Does it start in neutral?

Could be your neutral safety switch, really easy to clean and adjust.

http://bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neut...ty-switch-nss/

EDIT: Derp, just saw you said you have an ax15....
That's alright haha, at this point I'm thinking it has to be the reverse switch. I checked the bulbs to make sure they are good and they are. Wiring to both taillights for all bulbs is perfectly fine. When I looked at the switch it has been spliced to the wiring that runs all the way to the fuse block. This must be why it doesn't have a connector in-between. Can someone post a pic of their reverse switch and it's connector? Since the wiring for the reverse switch doesn't have a connector I'm not sure what I should do to repair it. Buy a new switch and splice it in? Try to find the wiring for the trans with a connector and put that in?
Old 10-28-2016, 07:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Get a test light and find out where you have power and where you don't. Start at the socket - just because the bulbs look fine doesn't mean they are.
Old 10-28-2016, 09:53 AM

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Year: 1988

Note from DJ
How long have owned this Jeep?
When did you notice that the backup lights were not working?
You are going to need a Test Light minimum; in order to look for your problem.
If it was my Jeep I use CCKen tip and acquire two safety pins [small to medium] in size; place the key in the on position [not start]. Place the transmission in reverse then get under your Jeep with the safety pins and the test light.
Now being careful not to poke your finger insert on safety pin into each of the wires leaving the back-up light switch; then find a good ground point to hook up the test light to, then touch the pointed end of the test light to each of the safety pins.
This will hopefully solve some of the mystery as to where you have power to.

Please keep us posted as to your progress, more questions or solution!

Hear is the information you asked for.

Last edited by djgrayxj; 10-28-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
Get a test light and find out where you have power and where you don't. Start at the socket - just because the bulbs look fine doesn't mean they are.
Thanks, Ill start doing that
Old 10-28-2016, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by djgrayxj
Note from DJ
How long have owned this Jeep?
When did you notice that the backup lights were not working?
You are going to need a Test Light minimum; in order to look for your problem.
If it was my Jeep I use CCKen tip and acquire two safety pins [small to medium] in size; place the key in the on position [not start]. Place the transmission in reverse then get under your Jeep with the safety pins and the test light.
Now being careful not to poke your finger insert on safety pin into each of the wires leaving the back-up light switch; then find a good ground point to hook up the test light to, then touch the pointed end of the test light to each of the safety pins.
This will hopefully solve some of the mystery as to where you have power to.

Please keep us posted as to your progress, more questions or solution!

Hear is the information you asked for.

I have owned this jeep since May when I purchased it from the PO, I noticed that the reverse lights didn't work when I backed up the jeep for the first time when I owned it. I do own a test light and I will have to give this method a try. Thanks for the pics too!
Old 10-28-2016, 06:42 PM

Note from DJ
I thought of a couple more things.
1. This is very important item before the OP even crawls under the Jeep as I suggested; they needs to take a bright light and get into a position to take a good look under the dash at their fuse panel and the push rod for the clutch slave cylinder.
If there is any sine of brake fluid leaking from the push rod for the clutch slave cylinder this is not good in that it is dripping down on the fuse panel.
Brake fluid is very corrosive when it comes in contact with copper; so there goes good electrical contact in the fuse panel.

2. If the above problem is not evident while the OP is under the Jeep they should look for any evidence of a wire loop next to the transmission that has evidence that wires have been clipped from the main loom.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:33 PM

Note from DJ
I thought of a couple more things.
1. This is very important item before the OP even crawls under the Jeep as I suggested; they needs to take a bright light and get into a position to take a good look under the dash at their fuse panel and the push rod for the clutch slave cylinder.
If there is any sine of brake fluid leaking from the push rod for the clutch slave cylinder this is not good in that it is dripping down on the fuse panel.
Brake fluid is very corrosive when it comes in contact with copper; so there goes good electrical contact in the fuse panel.

2. If the above problem is not evident while the OP is under the Jeep they should look for any evidence of a wire loop next to the transmission that has evidence that wires have been clipped from the main loom.
Thanks for more tips, pulled the taillight housing and probed the sockets. Running lights and turn signals sockets have power. Reverse socket does not. Checked the clutch pedal and theres no fluid leaking. Turned the key to on, and put the trans in reverse, and crawled under the jeep and looked at the harness to the switch.

Reverse switch wiring, in place of a plug there are splice connectors

Yanked the butt connectors off to probe around and nothing. Test light didn't light up. At this point it was quite dark out and I'll admit these reverse lights are pissing me off so I called it night. I will come back to it tomorrow. As much as it pisses me off that I have no reverse lights and I'm not sure why that is, I'm determined to fix it so I can see when I back up. And for in the future when I get a rear bumper I can add aux reverse lamps that are brighter and such.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:31 AM

Note from DJ
OP, you stated the fuse was good which fuse in which location?
If you don’t have a schematic you might try your public library you will be amazed at what they have.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:31 PM

Note from DJ
OP, you stated the fuse was good which fuse in which location?
If you don’t have a schematic you might try your public library you will be amazed at what they have.
Yes fuse is good. And I verified it with my test light earlier today, both sides of the fuse lit the test light.

According to my Chilton manual the fuse for the reverse lights is fuse #3, a 20 amp fuse. This fuse also is used by the turn signals.

I removed the fuse and inspected it, no cracks or burns and the fuse was still intact. When removed the turn signals didn't function.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:10 AM

Note from DJ

Please Post Back if the following information helps.

Dark Blue with White Tracer Wire Supplies Power to the Following Devices after it leaves the Power Distribution Center 15 Amp Fuse #6 which receives power from the Ignition Switch ON Position.
1. Back-Up Light Switch; Manual Transmission
2. Electric Cooling Fan Relay
3. Ballast Resistor Relay
4. Cruise Control Switch
5. Engine Diagnostic Connector
6. A/C Clutch Relay
7. Washer Fluid Level Switch

Power Distribution Center Diagram Below:

Old 11-06-2016, 09:51 PM

Note from DJ

Please Post Back if the following information helps.

Dark Blue with White Tracer Wire Supplies Power to the Following Devices after it leaves the Power Distribution Center 15 Amp Fuse #6 which receives power from the Ignition Switch ON Position.
1. Back-Up Light Switch; Manual Transmission
2. Electric Cooling Fan Relay
3. Ballast Resistor Relay
4. Cruise Control Switch
5. Engine Diagnostic Connector
6. A/C Clutch Relay
7. Washer Fluid Level Switch

Power Distribution Center Diagram Below:

Thanks for the info dj, will have to check this tomorrow
Old 11-06-2016, 10:01 PM

Note from DJ
Thanks for responding; keep us posted as to your progress.
I have more information that might help with the problem.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:32 PM

Note from DJ
If Fuse F6 is not the problem; where are the wires leaving the Reverse Light Switch going to?