Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

charcoal cannister questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2024, 11:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default charcoal cannister questions

My son and I are making progress on the 87 Cherokee but we’re coming across things as we work on this jeep. So we recently salvaged a vacuum canister and while looking for a place to relocate it I noticed an empty spot in the engine comp. If I’m not mistaken this spot is where an evap canister would be. I’m not aware of an option to delete this part but if there is I’d like to know if the previous owner did it correctly. From what I’ve read it seems this part has an important role. There is a salvageable canister at the junkyard and will probably be going for it soon. I’d like to hear some opinions about it tho
Old 04-20-2024, 07:03 AM

Received 255 Likes on 215 Posts
Year: 1994

The charcoal canister is an emissions thing more than anything, absorbing fuel vapors when the engine isn't running rather than them working their way back into the intake manifold and eventually out through the intake and into the atmosphere. Fuel vapors are actually pretty bad relative to everything else on the "bad for the environment" scale. Once the engine is running, the vacuum pulls the fuel vapors out of the charcoal, as well as absorbing new vapors, restarting the cycle.

On the Renix models, such as yours, vacuum is sourced from the air box lid. As such, if the hose to the EVAP Canister was left disconnected, the worst that happens is unfiltered air getting drawn into the engine. Not the end of the world, generally... If the deleted it "the right way", they connected the hose from the fuel tank to the hose from the air box lid, or some other vacuum source since the hose size is vastly different, to at least pull vapors from the system while the engine is running. Do you smell gas when the engine is running?
Old 04-20-2024, 08:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 425 Likes on 344 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L

Jim pretty much called it. If you grab the canister, make sure you grab the bracket and any mounting hardware. If the hoses are still attached, be very careful getting them off. You risk breaking the plastic nipples. The canisters are no longer available new so salvage/ebay/etc. are the only sources.

You'll have to verify if any of the hoses are still there (hard to tell from your pic).
Old 04-20-2024, 10:08 AM

Thank you both for the information. Very good to know. I haven’t really noticed any smell but the transmission currently only works in reverse so every once in awhile we start it up but haven’t been able to drive it due to the tranny. That’s next on the to do list

ill make sure to grab everything attached when I go back to the junkyard

if I’m understanding correctly there’s two lines one to the fuel tank and one to the air box. Both are likely blocked off. I’ll go take a look to see what I can find. I’ll also take note of where the hoses connect to the vehicle when I go back to the junkyard.

by chance would you have a picture of where either of these lines connect?
Old 04-20-2024, 10:41 AM
CF Veteran

Yeah, at some point soon after the canister (like a few inches), they turn into hard plastic lines, especially the one that runs around the firewall to the air cleaner. No real need to use the plastic ones as long as you use proper length flexible hose and they are connected to the proper ports.
Old 04-20-2024, 11:01 AM
CF Veteran

The canister has only two connections. The one in RED says TANK and goes to the fuel tank. The one in YELLOW says CARB BOWL but goes to the air cleaner. Your pull may show something different but the connections are still the same. The air cleaner port is the one on the intake tube going to the TB

This is the port on the intake tube that connects to the canister. There's a plastic venturi inside that provides just enough vacuum to draw in the fumes.

Just more pic to show the hard line. It runs around the washer tank, then along the back of the firewall. Something like the last 6 inches is flexible hose that attaches to the canister.

Old 04-20-2024, 11:18 AM

Thank you so much! That’s extremely helpful. Yes the line on my air box is capped off. Thought that’s where it would go since all the other lines on the box were recently replaced. I’m pretty sure I found the line that connects to the fuel tank. Haven’t traced it back yet but it’s blocked off right where the canister would be so pretty sure that’s where that one goes.

thank you again. Your pictures with colored lines is very helpful for an old geezer like myself
Old 05-07-2024, 04:11 PM

I went and grabbed the Evap Canister today from the junkyard, thank you for the pictures, I know exactly where to plug these into.

Question tho, I noticed when I pulled the canister it also has a line located on the bottom of the canister. The hose was cut tho so i wasnt able to trace down its location. Any Idea where that end goes?
Old 05-07-2024, 04:47 PM

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

It is just a drain hose and just drops down below the uniframe.
The following users liked this post:
Mlopez (05-07-2024)
Old 05-07-2024, 11:21 PM

Awesome! Much appreciated
Old 05-09-2024, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Saudade
The canister has only two connections. The one in RED says TANK and goes to the fuel tank. The one in YELLOW says CARB BOWL but goes to the air cleaner. Your pull may show something different but the connections are still the same. The air cleaner port is the one on the intake tube going to the TB

This is the port on the intake tube that connects to the canister. There's a plastic venturi inside that provides just enough vacuum to draw in the fumes.

Just more pic to show the hard line. It runs around the washer tank, then along the back of the firewall. Something like the last 6 inches is flexible hose that attaches to the canister.

do you know if replacement hard lines are available to purchase? I grabbed the one at the junkyard but it was broken on one side. I can probably make one out of two but don’t seem like the hard lines separate
at the elbows and joints. Not positive tho haven’t tried too hard to separate. If worse comes to worse I’ll replace with some other hose
Old 05-09-2024, 09:46 AM
CF Veteran

The junctions are fused so there's no getting them apart. If you wanted to preserve the original routing, you could use a bunch of straight hoses, coupled together with elbows. Maybe not everywhere, but just along critical areas like around the washer tank, and the canister.
Old 05-09-2024, 10:57 AM

The junctions are fused so there's no getting them apart. If you wanted to preserve the original routing, you could use a bunch of straight hoses, coupled together with elbows. Maybe not everywhere, but just along critical areas like around the washer tank, and the canister.

think ill just replace all the hard lines with some different hose, you mentioned in a previous post a plastic venturi inside near the airbox. Is this venturi in the airbox or part of the hose that connects to the airbox?
Old 05-09-2024, 11:31 AM
CF Veteran

It's part of the airbox cover. If you take the intake tube off, you can see it (circled in red). The tube just to the right is the line from the EVAP canister. The large one on the left goes to the forward grommet on the valve cover for the fresh air intake for the CCV system. The 2 little stubs are the bimetallic switch that connects to the bypass servo in the front of the air box. When "cold" it closes the inlet to allow air entering the airbox to come off the exhaust manifold to speed up warmup. Once warm, it allows fresh air from behind the headlight to enter.

Old 05-09-2024, 12:18 PM

It's part of the airbox cover. If you take the intake tube off, you can see it (circled in red). The tube just to the right is the line from the EVAP canister. The large one on the left goes to the forward grommet on the valve cover for the fresh air intake for the CCV system. The 2 little stubs are the bimetallic switch that connects to the bypass servo in the front of the air box. When "cold" it closes the inlet to allow air entering the airbox to come off the exhaust manifold to speed up warmup. Once warm, it allows fresh air from behind the headlight to enter.

As always your info and advice is greatly appreciated! Your a wealth of knowledge my friend. This is the first Cherokee ive ever owned so theres alot for me to learn. Appreciate you always taking the time to reply to my posts