Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

replacing windshield...need gasket a.s.a.p.!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 12:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default replacing windshield...need gasket a.s.a.p.!

I had a disoriented owl hit the windshield on my 87 comanche last night...didn't apparently crack it more than it was before (significantly but not leaking). but this morning I came outside and being foggy out condensation built up on the truck...and low and behold it leaked a bit of water onto my tomtom. gps is OK but that didn't fly right.

so, using my windshield gasket removing blade, I pulled the new tinted windshield out of my 95 cherokee shell (took 15 min.) when I got home from work, picked up a tube of windshield sealant/glue and removed the windshield from the truck.

that whole process sucked as all of the trim clips were glued into the sealant so I just put tape over the vents and removed the seats and carpet then tarped the inside and taped that down to the dash. then I took a ball pin hammer and beat out all of the edges of the windshield, then used the heat gun and a box cutter to the old sealant and started a cut then just used the heat gun to take the glue out.

I HATE the older trim clip setup, and since the rest of the comanche is converted to 95 (air bag disabled of course as the windshield in the truck wasn't designed to take an air bag hit)...I figure a 95 gasket is in order. problem is, I didn't think about that prior to removing the xj's windshield and I just cut that one out...

so, now I need a 95+ windshield seal. any ideas where I can get one on a saturday on a holiday weekend?

thanks,

Pat
Old 09-05-2009, 09:18 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

I have never been sucessful in removing a windsheild w/o breaking it. I just (Thursday) had a new windsheild put in my MJ. I watched the guy do it and he used a new gasket and a tube of windsheild caulk in a caulkgun. Trim pieces he had a special tool to pop them out and he just put them back with the heel of his hand.
The key seems to be to get all the old gasket out and use a new rubber gasket, which they had on a spool so they could cut what they needed.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:52 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
I have never been sucessful in removing a windsheild w/o breaking it. I just (Thursday) had a new windsheild put in my MJ. I watched the guy do it and he used a new gasket and a tube of windsheild caulk in a caulkgun. Trim pieces he had a special tool to pop them out and he just put them back with the heel of his hand.
The key seems to be to get all the old gasket out and use a new rubber gasket, which they had on a spool so they could cut what they needed.
x2 and make sure there's no rust that will be a problem later on. Mine was rusted pretty good on the upper driver side corner I had to fix it first before I could reinstall the windshield.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

none of that was the problem for me...I've done several windshields and always wire brush the pinch weld then tape off and primer it, and remove ALL old sealant before I put the "new" windshield in.

I just hate the old style trim. unfortunately I didn't get a new gasket today...went to the junkyard and did pull one but it had several tares that I didn't like in it.

so I ended up leaving all the trim clip tabs in the frame and reused the old style mounting...of the 28 tabs I only had 16 good ones but that's enough to clip the trim in.

old windshield wouldn't come out because of the stupid silly amount of sealant the person who installed the old one used. I ended up just removing half the interior, taping off the dash vents, tarping the interior, and beating the edges of the window with a hammer...then I used a heat gun and razor to get the old glue off and then did the wire brushing.

new one is in, taped up, awaiting for trim to be installed tomorrow