Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replacing rusty lower quarter panel optionsl...help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 09:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Angry Replacing rusty lower quarter panel optionsl...help!

I wasn't sure if this should be in OEM or Chat, but since I'm trying to replace it with a factory panel I decided to put it here. I've found this replacement part out on the internet at several places (including QuadraTec, most expensive so far), and was wondering if anyone has used it. I haven't been able to find anyone that has posted about using this particular replacement panel. The real burning question for me is that it's listed for 1984-2001 XJs. Is it true that this particular panel section has not changed throughout the years? It looks pretty much the same, minus the bumper cap bracket which that part is fine, so I'd probably trim the panel to fit just the bad areas.

On to the damage...I uncovered this from my passenger side on my '98 4-door last night. The driver's side is MINT for some reason!
Name:  IMAG0937_zps43561438.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  69.0 KB

And after I started poking at it with my finger some...

Name:  IMAG0938_zpse63f6b08.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  91.7 KB

I realize there is more to poke and cut away, and I will have to cut the inner part as well. The inside hole there, used to be a rubber drain plug. I'm really wishing the plug was out over the years! I'm thinking of grabbing some sheet metal patches from Lowes and making those work for the inside part.

Now I know some of you are going to tell me to do the cut and fold. But, I have begun the process of installing the Bushwacker Flat Flares, and they will not play well or look right with that option. This is why I want to retain the factory original panel with the style lines and also the bumper cap mounting brackets (which seems to be in good shape). I wish to retain those for now as well, so it would be fine to cover up any ugliness from my attempted repairs.

Eventually, I want to get the JCR rear bumper w/ the integrated quarter panel armor as shown here. But I'll be rocking the factory bumper for quite a while.

Thank you all for your ideas!
Old 09-23-2013, 11:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Anyone...?