Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replacing Oil Pan Gasket. . Anything else I should do while I'm at it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Replacing Oil Pan Gasket. . Anything else I should do while I'm at it?

99 Sport, 150,xxx, Automatic

Going to be changing out the oil pan gasket in a few days and I was wondering if you guys recommend anything else be done while I'm under there? I have a small oil leak that my mechanic had a look at and he told me he thought it was limited to just the oil pan gasket, but I REALLY don't want to do this job and ~15 thousand miles later have to do the RMS or Oil Pump, etc.

What do you think? How would I be able to identify a leaky RMS when I'm under there? Any benefit to replacing the oil pump and pick up line? Any other tips/tricks to do that I haven't mentioned?
Old 06-26-2014, 06:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Drop the pump and inspect it, might be time for a new one.

Pull a couple rod and main caps and inspect the bearings.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Rapscallion
99 Sport, 150,xxx, Automatic

Going to be changing out the oil pan gasket in a few days and I was wondering if you guys recommend anything else be done while I'm under there? I have a small oil leak that my mechanic had a look at and he told me he thought it was limited to just the oil pan gasket, but I REALLY don't want to do this job and ~15 thousand miles later have to do the RMS or Oil Pump, etc.

What do you think? How would I be able to identify a leaky RMS when I'm under there? Any benefit to replacing the oil pump and pick up line? Any other tips/tricks to do that I haven't mentioned?
Not to question your mechanics ability but are you SURE it's the oil pan gasket that's leaking? I've seen a lot of people (Myself included) think their rear main seal or oil pan was leaking and many times it turned out the o-ring for the oil filter adapter was leaking and the oil just worked it's way down the small seams and ledges on the engine and finally dripped out down in the pan/rear main area somewhere.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:41 AM

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Programbo
Not to question your mechanics ability but are you SURE it's the oil pan gasket that's leaking? I've seen a lot of people (Myself included) think their rear main seal or oil pan was leaking and many times it turned out the o-ring for the oil filter adapter was leaking and the oil just worked it's way down the small seams and ledges on the engine and finally dripped out down in the pan/rear main area somewhere.
I read a thread where a guy ran into the same problem and changed out the oil pan gasket and rear main only to find out that it was the o-ring. The same guy said it was a pain in the butt to change it out b/c of the space that isnt there to change it. Did you have any problems changing it?
Old 06-27-2014, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Programbo
From what I can tell, the oil filter adapter doesn't show any "fresh" or wet looking oil around it. Just normal grease build-up. This is from a top and bottom visual inspection. I can tell that the source of the fresh oil is coming from the space between the block and the transmission (bell housing area). It's a very slow leak that produces about a 2-4 inch spot when left overnight.

I am probably going to degrease my engine around the valve cover and oil filter adapter then see if I can see any signs of fresh oil coming from those areas, but so far it doesn't appear to be coming from either of those spots.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

That is my exact suggestion actually.

Degrease the crap ouf of the engine bay (Gunk heavy-duty degreaser works pretty well).

Then, replace the oil filter adapter o-ring, and clean again. Drive it for a week and see if you can see any new oil leaking. Mine turned out to be the OFA and the valve cover.

I still want to replace my oil pump as I am closing in on 200k miles, and it is just good insurance. If you do end up dropping the pan, changing the RMS and oil pump would be foolish IMO.
Old 06-27-2014, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
That is my exact suggestion actually.

Degrease the crap ouf of the engine bay (Gunk heavy-duty degreaser works pretty well).

Then, replace the oil filter adapter o-ring, and clean again. Drive it for a week and see if you can see any new oil leaking. Mine turned out to be the OFA and the valve cover.

I still want to replace my oil pump as I am closing in on 200k miles, and it is just good insurance. If you do end up dropping the pan, changing the RMS and oil pump would be foolish IMO.
What up 3.8/3.7/v6 mustang bro. . . . .Uday
Old 06-28-2014, 01:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Edit:
And I obviously meant *not* changing the rms and oil pump would be foolish (f-ing stoners )

Last edited by investinwaffles; 06-28-2014 at 01:35 PM.