Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replaced the Tps still spits and sputters

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Replaced the Tps still spits and sputters

My 89 xj was sputtering when I would accerlate unless id give it more juice then if would drive fine but once I would level out the gas pedal it would sputter so I replaced the tps and made sure I adjusted it properly and it still does the same thing any suggestions?
Old 04-28-2013, 09:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Verify proper fuel delivery. Must be done with a fuel pressure gauge which can be rented inexpensively from some parts stores; call around.

For an 89, you should have 31 psi at idle. Then disconnect the vacuum line leading to the fuel pressure regulator and the pressure should jump to approximately 39 psi. Be sure that the vacuum line leading to the regulator is in good shape, pulling good vacuum, and is not wet with raw fuel which would indicate a ruptured diaphragm in the regulator.

What is the condition of tuneup hardware? Fresh champion copper plugs, quality plug wires, cap, rotor and fuel filter?
Old 04-28-2013, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tjwalker
Verify proper fuel delivery. Must be done with a fuel pressure gauge which can be rented inexpensively from some parts stores; call around.

For an 89, you should have 31 psi at idle. Then disconnect the vacuum line leading to the fuel pressure regulator and the pressure should jump to approximately 39 psi. Be sure that the vacuum line leading to the regulator is in good shape, pulling good vacuum, and is not wet with raw fuel which would indicate. a ruptured diaphragm in the regulator.

What is the condition of tuneup hardware? Fresh champion copper plugs, quality plug wires, cap, rotor and fuel filter?
Sorry I believe I get the ******* of the day award when I fixed my timing a while back I forgot to tighten down the distributor all the way. Im not too proud to post this on the internet but that's what the problem was.
Old 04-28-2013, 06:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Siever_93
Sorry I believe I get the ******* of the day award when I fixed my timing a while back I forgot to tighten down the distributor all the way. Im not too proud to post this on the internet but that's what the problem was.
No worries! Thanks for posting back what you found. Many do not.