Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Replace (junk?) Putco relays on Plug/play H4 Headlight upgrade? Or use RJM harness?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 05:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L i6
Default Replace (junk?) Putco relays on Plug/play H4 Headlight upgrade? Or use RJM harness?

I finally have the courage to attempt the headlight upgrade.
When I first considered it, I could not unscrew 3 of the headlight screws b/c they were rusted solid (like every other bolt on the car, it turned out), so I bailed on ordering parts.
It was a perfect foreshadowing of just how challenging the XJ is for even the most basic jobs.

Now, a year later, I think I have the tools and understanding to destroy the screw head with either a MAPP torch or dremel or flush cutter
(Gotta love all the tools owning a Jeep will make you buy!!) and then use vice grips to remove the rest.

Even if I can not get the screws off, I will pay my mechanic to install this upgrade b/c the lights are really that bad, and winter means a lot more using of my XJ
So, I am going to assume I will remove the headlight screws come hell or high water.

So, this is where I left off: The $25 Putco harness was slammed on the forums as total junk garbage here. Crap relays.
If I could get relays for free, just how hard is it to splice in new relays?
Keep in mind, I don't even know what relays do or what they look like.
I do have a solder gun and wire cutters, etc.
Is there a video or write-up for those here who aren't pro electricians?
If there are actually pictures and directions on HOW to splice relays, I am willing to try and learn
I don't mind learning how to splice relays, but only if there are actual directions of what to do.
If there are no directions, this is not an option, I guess....

So, option #1 is get
$25 Putco harness $25 Putco harness
and get relays from a JY and learn how to splice them in.

Option #2 is to install the stock Putco, as is, and ignore the "pure junk" criticism as forum hype.

Option #3 is to get the $80 RJM harness with good relays.
Everyone said these are very good.
http://www.rjminjectiontech.com/prod...dlight-harness

What do you think? Which option?

Will both harnesses work with the headlights below? Which one is better?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330897426583
Amazon.com: Autopal H6054 7x6 Inch 200mm Headlights Pair Uses H4 Bulbs Non-sealed H6014/h6052/h6054: Automotive Amazon.com: Autopal H6054 7x6 Inch 200mm Headlights Pair Uses H4 Bulbs Non-sealed H6014/h6052/h6054: Automotive
http://www.quadratec.com/products/97017_1600.htm

I addition to the harness and headlight, I need the actual H4 bulbs, right?
Where can I get cheap H4's? Ebay?
Amazon.com: HELLA HLA-H83140101 H4 12V 60/55W Halogen Bulb: Automotive Amazon.com: HELLA HLA-H83140101 H4 12V 60/55W Halogen Bulb: Automotive

Amazon.com: PIAA 15224 H4 Style Xtreme White 12V 60/55=110/100-Watt Bulb - Twin Pack: Automotive Amazon.com: PIAA 15224 H4 Style Xtreme White 12V 60/55=110/100-Watt Bulb - Twin Pack: Automotive

Relays
Pilot PL-RY1 Auxiliary Lighting Accessory : Amazon.com : Automotive Pilot PL-RY1 Auxiliary Lighting Accessory : Amazon.com : Automotive

DIY
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/my-h4-upgrade-114440/
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/pu...nstall-164659/

Last edited by BimmerJeeper; 10-31-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

I installed the Putco harness on my 98 and never had a problem with the relays. If you do they relays are plug in and no splicing is needed. I do know that many have said that they have had problems with the relays but not every one does.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

I use these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200mm-H6054-H4-EURO-CONVERSION-HEADLIGHTS-KIT-/330897426583?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0b060897&vxp=mtrand build my the harness using volvo fan relay.
CF Veteran

double post
Old 10-31-2013, 06:12 PM
Banned

So, if the relay fails, it's just plug and play like a regular fuse?
Part #39797-SE0-004
Old 10-31-2013, 06:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

I've had the Putco for over a year with no issues. I bought spare relays and tossed them in the center console after hearing all the "horror stories" but haven't used them yet. My harness still has the relays it came with and they work just fine. I believe the trick is to make sure the connectors on the relays are facing down ("bolt-eyes" facing up) and making sure to pack the connectors with plenty of dielectric grease. The issue with the relays appears to be that they aren't really waterproof (despite claiming to be so) and if installed upside down water will get in and water can also splash up and get in if the connector isn't greased (though from what I've heard making sure the connectors on the relays point down solves most of the issues but dielectric grease is cheap insurance).

You can use Honda (Matsu****a) relays (Honda P/N: 39797-SE0-004) with the Putco harness to eliminate any potential issues.

Also make sure the grounds are good (I just spliced in wire to the grounds and ran it back to the battery to fender ground rather than relying on chassis grounds).

Splicing in standard "Bosch-style" mechanical relays isn't that difficult but if you're going to do that you might as well just buy some H4 connectors, fuse holders, relay holders, lugs and 12ga. wire and making your own harness which wouldn't be much more work.

There are also some H4 harnesses on e-bay that already come with "Bosch-style" mechanical relays for about the same price as the Putco if you want to go that route (if I knew these existed when I bought my Putco I may have gone with one of these instead just for the ease of finding replacement relays). CERAMIC H4 7" HEADLIGHT 2 HEADLAMP LIGHT BULB SOCKET PLUG RELAY WIRING HARNESS

Last edited by dmill89; 10-31-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by BimmerJeeper
Part #39797-SE0-004
Yes there is a socket they plug into (the harness actually ships with the relays separate in the package, not plugged in), however the relay is not a fuse, the Putco harness comes with no fuse and instead uses "Fusable-links" (thinner sections of wire designed to melt if overloaded). Most people splice a fuse-holder (or two) into the Putco harness for added safety.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:27 PM
CF Veteran

Part #39797-SE0-004
It is just a plug in.
BTW, I installed my Putco harness over 2 years ago and still using the same relays.

Last edited by RTorrez1; 10-31-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by dmill89
I've had the Putco for over a year with no issues. I bought spare relays and tossed them in the center console after hearing all the "horror stories" but haven't used them yet. My harness still has the relays it came with and they work just fine. I believe the trick is to make sure the connectors on the relays are facing down ("bolt-eyes" facing up) and making sure to pack the connectors with plenty of dielectric grease. The issue with the relays appears to be that they aren't really waterproof (despite claiming to be so) and if installed upside down water will get in and water can also splash up and get in if the connector isn't greased (though from what I've heard making sure the connectors on the relays point down solves most of the issues but dielectric grease is cheap insurance).

You can use Honda (Matsu****a) relays (Honda P/N: 39797-SE0-004) with the Putco harness to eliminate any potential issues.

Also make sure the grounds are good (I just spliced in wire to the grounds and ran it back to the battery to fender ground rather than relying on chassis grounds).

Splicing in standard "Bosch-style" mechanical relays isn't that difficult but if you're going to do that you might as well just buy some H4 connectors, fuse holders, relay holders, lugs and 12ga. wire and making your own harness which wouldn't be much more work.

There are also some H4 harnesses on e-bay that already come with "Bosch-style" mechanical relays for about the same price as the Putco if you want to go that route (if I knew these existed when I bought my Putco I may have gone with one of these instead just for the ease of finding replacement relays). CERAMIC H4 7" HEADLIGHT 2 HEADLAMP LIGHT BULB SOCKET PLUG RELAY WIRING HARNESS

The above ebay harness is the one I used a few weeks ago. The relays are real mechanical relays, the wire gauge is fairly thick, and the bulb sockets are quite substantial as well. Also, it comes with an inline fuse for the positive feed. It is also plenty long. Some people had stated that the putco harness barely made it from side to side. The ebay harness has plenty of wire, too long if anything. I also have the autopal euro h4 housings with the bulbs that were included with them. It works great. Occasionally, I have to flick the highbeams to get the lights to turn off but that is a problem inherent to the stock fog light circuit. I just need to clip and ground a wire to solve this. It has nothing to do with which harness you select. I originally had the silverstar sealed beams and they brightened up nicely with just the harness install. I too had a problem with one of my headlight ring screws being rusted tight. I ended up just bending the ring up untill I could fit the new bulb in.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:54 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info.

I'm going to go with the Ebay harness for $35. Seems a nice middle ground from $25 Putco and $80 RJM.
I'm also going to get the Autopal with 2 bulbs from Ebay for $42.

Total about $80. Let's see if I can get those 4 headlight screws off!
Old 11-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

They are cheap, but I think most of the problems people have with the relays are bad grounds. I made sure my grounds were damn good, cleaned paint off of the radiator support and used those screws on the ring terminals. Pass. side also has a cable to the negative battery terminal. I read 0.1 ohms from the ground pin in the driver's side socket to the actual negative battery post. Which is the same my multimeter reads when the two probes are touched, so I'm happy.

I think a lot of folks dont clean the paint off.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Banned

Can you summarize the test you described with your MM ?
I've used my MM twice. A continuity test and a voltage test.
Are you talking about a resistance test?
Can you walk me through how to do your test?
It will be a nice opportunity to use my MM again.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Banned

Wait, the Ebay listing says the harness is NOT compatible with a '98 XJ Sport.
Can anyone confirm?
Old 11-01-2013, 07:34 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Yep resistance test. For most models set it to 0-100 ohms range. Just touch between any two points to measure the resistance. The lower the better. For checking resistance through a conductor you don't need to worry about positive vs negative terminals on your meeter.
Old 11-01-2013, 07:35 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Wait, the Ebay listing says the harness is NOT compatible with a '98 XJ Sport.
Can anyone confirm?
This?
Amazon.com: Putco 230004HW Premium Automotive Lighting Wiring H4 100W Heavy Duty Harness and Relay: Automotive Amazon.com: Putco 230004HW Premium Automotive Lighting Wiring H4 100W Heavy Duty Harness and Relay: Automotive

That's the one we all run.

Quick Reply: Replace (junk?) Putco relays on Plug/play H4 Headlight upgrade? Or use RJM harness?