Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

RENIX TPS questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default RENIX TPS questions

Background:

My 90 Laredo has had a no power under load, and an inconsistent idle speed that drops inversely proportional to temperature. the slowing idle lead to the motor dieing at 210 - 215 F. I have replaced multiple sensors/motors for marginal to bad tests (O2, MAT, Idle Air Control Valve), repaired vacuum leaks, replaced battery cables, replaced the coil, and have cleaned grounds.

Question:

Every time I tested my TPS it came out like an automatic should, 83% voltage return to ECU with a closed throttle. I had always tested it cold, today out of frustration I tested it again after it had come up to temperature and died. To my surprise it tested more like a TPS that belonged in a manual (20% ish, I did a rough calculation in my head). I assume this means it is bad. Am I right or is this normal? I don't want to drop another $65 if I don't have to.

Side note:

I am starting to wonder about all the parts houses in town, everything I buy cost $65. Maybe I should try and buy something bigger next time.