Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

RENIX no tranny fluid on the dipstick!!!

Old 05-04-2014, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default RENIX no tranny fluid on the dipstick!!!

So my 90 renix has been having some issues lately. I can get it to go descently by a very light foot on the gas if its any further it feels like the engine is missing on several cylinders it back fires and pops almost a gurggly type sound. Ive been testing and replacing parts for a month.

Well today I was driving home from the in laws and I just had a sense that maybe the transmission is screwing with everything and makin it act so weird. So I get home and whats the first thing you do for a tranny problem ...? Check the fluid. I pulled the dip stick out, theres nothing on it its dry as can be I couldnt even get any to whipe on my fingers its that dry.

Any suggestions on why this would happen. Im pretty descent when it comes to working on vehicles just inexperienced to transmissions. Help would be great?

Thanks this site is always helpful!!!!
Old 05-04-2014, 08:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by 90renixxj
So my 90 renix has been having some issues lately. I can get it to go descently by a very light foot on the gas if its any further it feels like the engine is missing on several cylinders it back fires and pops almost a gurggly type sound. Ive been testing and replacing parts for a month.

Well today I was driving home from the in laws and I just had a sense that maybe the transmission is screwing with everything and makin it act so weird. So I get home and whats the first thing you do for a tranny problem ...? Check the fluid. I pulled the dip stick out, theres nothing on it its dry as can be I couldnt even get any to whipe on my fingers its that dry.

Any suggestions on why this would happen. Im pretty descent when it comes to working on vehicles just inexperienced to transmissions. Help would be great?

Thanks this site is always helpful!!!!
Verify leak locations and fill with fluid?
Old 05-04-2014, 10:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Owner neglect. Fill it with fluid and see what happens. At least top off fluids every once in a while.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:25 PM

transmission fluid does not "vanish"

you know what to do... add fluid to the proper level, check for leaks, keep a quart in the back.... and check your fluids regularly!
Old 05-04-2014, 11:48 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Was the fluid level checked according to the instructions on the dipstick?

You can't just buy 25 year old vehicles and drive the **** out of them without checking stuff. Trans fluid doesn't get checked until there's an issue? You deserve what you got if that's the case.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:46 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Was the fluid level checked according to the instructions on the dipstick?

You can't just buy 25 year old vehicles and drive the **** out of them without checking stuff. Trans fluid doesn't get checked until there's an issue? You deserve what you got if that's the case.
Sir, I call bull. We all know that previous owner maintenance is spot on at least 99% of the time! There is no such thing as a dumb-*** previous owner.

[/sarcasm]
Old 05-05-2014, 06:13 AM

Year: 1996

Rule#1
When you foul up by not checking fluids, don't advertise it on this forum!...
Old 05-05-2014, 10:15 AM

Yeah ive had the jeep for a couple of weeks the previous owner didnt take care of it at all I just had to replace all the tie rods, ball joints, and the track bar it was all totally fried.

I know to fill her back up im not retarted I just wanted to know if anything in particular could of caused it.

So ill just fill it up and see whats up.

And this isnt 13 year old girl stuff so if you dont like what I asked just gossip to one of your girlfriends

Me I gotta work on my vehicle thanks everyone with the useful info.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:21 AM

Oh and there is no leaks anywere so im guessing it just needs topped off we'll see..
Old 05-05-2014, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 297 Likes on 252 Posts
Year: '96

Why not pull the drain plug in the pan first? Might as well get out the old and add 3.75qts of new.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:49 AM

Oh and there is no leaks anywere so im guessing it just needs topped off we'll see..
i have to argue with you here, there has to be a leak somewhere. tranny fluid doesnt just disappear. did you check it at all since you bought it? or was this the first time you checked the fluid level? I know it is the first thing I check before i purchase a used vehicle. the state of fluids can tell you a lot. And then after I purchase, I change all the fluids out so that i know the last time they were changed and I can get a good look at how used up they are. Make sure you check all the lines heading up to the radiator and aux cooler if you have one. the quick disconnects there love to go bad.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:54 PM

I checked it when I bought it. It showed up fine. Ill double check to see if its leaking, lines and everything. It has to be leaking somewere like you said red4dr flluid dont just disappear I look her over really good and let you know what I find
Old 05-05-2014, 01:09 PM

Well I found the problem, looks like the line got smashed by a rock or something theres like a pin size hole in it.

Thanks for all the help guys hopefully my poor tranny is ok
Old 05-05-2014, 05:23 PM
CF Veteran

Well I found the problem, looks like the line got smashed by a rock or something theres like a pin size hole in it.

AW4 is tough as nails. Its likely you caught it as the fluid went below the 'oh s***' mark. As in, fluid was ok when bought, pin hole, fluid leaks, notice bad symptoms, stop driving. As long as you didnt drive it all over creation like this, put some fresh fluid in her and she should be golden.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:29 PM

happy you found it! how much fluid did it take to get back into the correct range?