Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Removing muffler have questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Removing muffler have questions

I need to replace the muffler, however it's welded to the cat and tailpipe. Not sure if it's the original or not. right now, I just want to replace the muffler as the rest of the exhaust is OK for the most part.
From what Jeep, it says to heat the pipes up with a torch cherry red and twist them apart.
I'm wondering if I can just cut it off and clamp on some extra pieces of pipe if needed to make the connections. anyone run into this before?
Old 10-14-2010, 11:40 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.o

Im all about savin a few bucks and do everything my self. Exhaust work i found it easier just stop by the muffler shop and swap it. It will be stronger and prolly better than what you will have to rig to make up extra pipe. thats one of the few things i would rather just pay for. They can cut it of and have the new one welded in before you can blink
Old 10-14-2010, 11:46 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 L

Originally Posted by paulisawesomer
I need to replace the muffler, however it's welded to the cat and tailpipe. Not sure if it's the original or not. right now, I just want to replace the muffler as the rest of the exhaust is OK for the most part.
From what Jeep, it says to heat the pipes up with a torch cherry red and twist them apart.
I'm wondering if I can just cut it off and clamp on some extra pieces of pipe if needed to make the connections. anyone run into this before?
Just replaced my entire exhaust, I used a sawzall, torch and an adapter. But for your needs-use a sawzall, cut your pipe where you need to and purchase muffler pipe adapter (if necessary) and clamps. I think stock pipe OD is 2.25".
Old 10-14-2010, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

Originally Posted by dbcox
Im all about savin a few bucks and do everything my self. Exhaust work i found it easier just stop by the muffler shop and swap it. It will be stronger and prolly better than what you will have to rig to make up extra pipe. thats one of the few things i would rather just pay for. They can cut it of and have the new one welded in before you can blink
I disagree. Of all the things to have a shop do, exhaust is one of the easier things to accopmlish. Its probably a 4 on a scale of 1-10, 10 being hardest.

Even if you use exhaust claps and a sawz-all its simple.

Or for the more advanced you can get a cheap wire feed welder and weld it up yourself!
Old 10-14-2010, 12:13 PM

Thanks all, my main concern is the piece of pipe that is stuck inside where the pipes meet if I cut them off. I'm not sure if the replacement compensates for the smaller/larger pipes diameter or not. when I did my 94 cadillac from cat back, they assumed we would cut it off at the back and not pull the welds apart, so the pipe fit perfectly and we just clamped it on. I find that the shops around here are about a 75% or more markup + high labor cost unless I get out of the suburbs and into the city, otherwise I would just take it somewhere. When I can do it for 50$ and they want 200+....
Old 10-14-2010, 12:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Factory exhaust uses clamps fore and aft of the cat, the tailpipe is welded to the muff. Most auto parts stores have exhaust pipe adapters and clamps for the DIYer. A chain type pipe cutter works great and the parts will rent it to ya for free.
Attached Thumbnails Removing muffler have questions-004.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2010, 12:15 PM

it isnt that hard to put a muffler and tailpipe on.... ive done 2 of them in the last month on XJ's ive owned.

$75 for a direct fit muffler and tailpipe at napa......p/n for my 97 was 18568 (muffler) and tailpipe was 55188......

You can sawzall the tailpipe off right behind the muffler or jack up the rear of the body (not suspension) about a foot if you arent lifted..... remove muffler at joint behind cat converter , test fit new parts to be sure and then hi temp red silicone the joints and install using new muffler clamps... make sure the parts slide into the other at least a inch.
It less than a hours job
Old 10-14-2010, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by djb383
Factory exhaust uses clamps fore and aft of the cat, the tailpipe is welded to the muff. Most auto parts stores have exhaust pipe adapters and clamps for the DIYer. A chain type pipe cutter works great and the parts will rent it to ya for free.
Cat appears to be welded to front pipe, then there is a small connecting pipe and it is welded to the cat and muffler. I have the shop manual from jeep, shows the same thing so maybe whoever replaced it just followed suit. it's a 96 by the way.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Cut it off, use adaptor pipes and clamps.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

I've never had to silicon any of my exhaust, never had leaks either.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Cause your doing it right
Old 10-14-2010, 04:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by paulisawesomer
Cat appears to be welded to front pipe, then there is a small connecting pipe and it is welded to the cat and muffler. I have the shop manual from jeep, shows the same thing so maybe whoever replaced it just followed suit. it's a 96 by the way.
As u can see in the 1st pic, the cat is clamped at both ends (from the factory) and the tailpipe is welded to the muff (factory).
Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2010, 04:22 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee
Sounds like something is leaking now.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:59 AM

FYI, all complete....now i see what the different prices are for mufflers, think i got the "universal fit" which surprisingly wasn't too painful to put on. The muffler and cat were welded on and I'm assuming it was a dealer as it had a jeep muffler on it, so I guess it's the mechanics discretion. Nothing a sawzall couldn't fix.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:21 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by djb383
Sounds like something is leaking now.
I must've missed something...cuz I don't understand.

Quick Reply: Removing muffler have questions