Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Removing muffler

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 07:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Straight Six
Default Removing muffler

About 2-3 weeks ago I removed my stock muffler because the mounts all broke. I still have the cat converter. But I've noticed that I've gone from about 14 mpg average to about 18-20 mpg. Has anyone noticed this too? It also seems to have a bit more power. I'm going to guess the stock muffler was slowing airflow thus lowering mpg.

I know I need to make it quieter. So what I'm asking is: would straight piping it behind the cat be ok or do I want a muffler? I actually enjoy the sound/drone of no muffler. Or what kind of muffler would give me the sound similar to the lack of muffler if straight piping won't work.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Your old muffler could have been collapsing internally. Even if it wasn't you will still have less restriction without it. On just running a straight pipe after the cat really all depends on 2 things. 1) would you be able to stand the sound and that drone that that you enjoy dose get annoying after awhile . 2) and most important what to the laws call for in your area. I do know that some areas do have a noise ordnance and if it is to load you can be racking up a lot of tickets for it.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000

The shortest glass pack you can find.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:13 PM
Seasoned Member

I've gone on a few 2 hour trips. I find the noise soothing. I've had a few cops look at me but we don't have vehicle inspections. A small town cop today was turning around after I passed by so I think I almost got a ticket there. That got me the ambition to get it fixed.

I'd rather avoid glass packs. I thought they had a tendency to break down and sound terrible, but I've never used one for more than a month.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:17 PM
Seasoned Member

They sound better when they break in. We used to heat them with a torch and spray water on them to hasten the break in.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:21 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CrawdadSlim
They sound better when they break in. We used to heat them with a torch and spray water on them to hasten the break in.
Yeah me and my friends did something similar when we where young. We would run them for awhile till they got hot the soak them down.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
Yeah me and my friends did something similar when we where young. We would run them for awhile till they got hot the soak them down.
Yeah we gotta pass on the knowledge to the next generation haha.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:49 PM
Seasoned Member

I'll have to check this out. Never heard of this. I'm gonna guess I can find it on YouTube.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Stock muff with an exhaust cut-out ahead of the muff.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:22 AM
CF Veteran

Most important thing right now is get something on where you have a tailpipe out to the rear bumper. Would hate to see the exhaust fumes coming inside the cab with you, that can get you the "Big Dirt Nap".
Old 05-30-2014, 09:03 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Most important thing right now is get something on where you have a tailpipe out to the rear bumper. Would hate to see the exhaust fumes coming inside the cab with you, that can get you the "Big Dirt Nap".
Would a angled pipe out the side be sufficient? I'm kinda lacking in money for the whole muffler set up right now.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:55 AM
CF Veteran

Being the XJ is really connected from the windshield to the rear hatch most all laws require them to be past the passenger compartment. Like on a PU it could be just behind to cab in the bed area.

I guess I'm **** about that sort of things, a close friend of mine died in CO. some yrs back. The reason he got stuck in a snow drift in a remote area the drifting snow came almost up to his windows after being there for 5-6 hrs. When a snow plow found him the next day he was dead, carbon monoxide. poising. His exhaust was cut right behind the cab of his truck, don't know if that anything to do with it or not. But the windows were rolled up and heater was on truck was out of gas, guess he just went to sleep and didn't roll the window down trying to keep warm or not. A lot of if's and no one to answer them.

I understand being low on money just be very careful and keep your windows rolled down, most of all when stopped. But even trying to use the AC keep a couple of windows down a little to let inside air out till you can get it repaired.

Be safe and enjoy your XJ!

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 05-30-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

SORRY to hear that Fred. When we were pulling a "Beverly Hillbilles" move to WV in my '64 Chevy pickup w/dual side exhaust we were overcome with the fumes. LUCKILY I realized it was happening and pulled over but both kids(1 1/2yrs and under 1 yr)had fallen asleep. I tink fumes were coming in the sliding rear window that didn't seal well. We had been on the road for over 2hrs.

Anyways. One-speed,you can get a Walker tailpipe and muffler delievered to your door for $98 from here:
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199...tail_pipe.html

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199...t/muffler.html
Old 05-30-2014, 12:38 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by EZEARL
SORRY to hear that Fred. When we were pulling a "Beverly Hillbilles" move to WV in my '64 Chevy pickup w/dual side exhaust we were overcome with the fumes. LUCKILY I realized it was happening and pulled over but both kids(1 1/2yrs and under 1 yr)had fallen asleep. I tink fumes were coming in the sliding rear window that didn't seal well. We had been on the road for over 2hrs.

Anyways. One-speed,you can get a Walker tailpipe and muffler delievered to your door for $98 from here:

Glad to hear you understood what was happening or could have had a very tragic ending. I hate to see things happen to people that could have been avoided so easy.
Old 05-30-2014, 12:41 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by EZEARL

Yeah, I had a similar situation when my son and I moved from Ca. to TX. in my 65 Chevy P/U. I had a camper on it with the camper windows open and the sliding rear window open and we started to feel sick too. My tail pipe comes out in front of the rear wheels. I am just glad that I didn't let my son ride in the camper or it would have been much worse. It doesn't take much with the exhaust gasses.

Quick Reply: Removing muffler