Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Relacement battery tray questions..

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 6 cyl.
Default Relacement battery tray questions..

Hi all. First off I have a 2000 Sport that I am trying to bring up to speed. I cracked the battery tray taking the bolts out and need to replace it. I'm just curious if I can use the replacement one at autozone or do I need the own tray because of the sensor? Mind you I'm only asking because I'm really new at this stuff. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:01 PM

It was supposed to say "or do I have to get the oem tray??". Damn autocorrect
Old 01-13-2012, 11:31 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 242 I6

Originally Posted by Mellis67
Hi all. First off I have a 2000 Sport that I am trying to bring up to speed. I cracked the battery tray taking the bolts out and need to replace it. I'm just curious if I can use the replacement one at autozone or do I need the own tray because of the sensor? Mind you I'm only asking because I'm really new at this stuff. Thanks in advance.
I'd say make one up, or if it's fixable try to plastic weld it.

If not go to the jy and rip one out from a '97-'01

V/r,
-Gray.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

Max from Dirtbound Offroad is supposed to be making an XJ-specific battery tray soon. Otherwise, balisticfab makes a universal tray
Old 01-14-2012, 02:16 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo
Default Just curious

I was wondering what the H a sensor on the battery tray would do. Google showed me this..
The BTS is used to determine the battery temperature and control battery charging rate. This temperature data, along with data from monitored line voltage, is used by the PCM to vary the battery charging rate. System voltage will be higher at colder temperatures and is gradually reduced at warmer temperatures.
The PCM sends 5 volts to the sensor and is grounded through the sensor return line. As temperature increases, resistance in the sensor decreases and the detection voltage at the PCM increases.
The BTS is also used for OBD II diagnostics. Certain faults and OBD II monitors are either enabled or disabled, depending upon BTS input (for example, disable purge and enable Leak Detection Pump (LDP) and O2 sensor heater tests). Most OBD II monitors are disabled below 20 degrees F. Well now I know
Old 01-14-2012, 09:21 AM

Thanks guys off to check the junkyards usually not a lot of XJ's in them around here people snap them up for beach buggies... I'll let you know how I make out
Old 01-14-2012, 11:00 PM

Engine: 242 I6

Thanks guys off to check the junkyards usually not a lot of XJ's in them around here people snap them up for beach buggies... I'll let you know how I make out
GL with your find!

V/r,
-Gray.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:40 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L i6

Originally Posted by kjc
I was wondering what the H a sensor on the battery tray would do. Google showed me this..
The BTS is used to determine the battery temperature and control battery charging rate. This temperature data, along with data from monitored line voltage, is used by the PCM to vary the battery charging rate. System voltage will be higher at colder temperatures and is gradually reduced at warmer temperatures.
The PCM sends 5 volts to the sensor and is grounded through the sensor return line. As temperature increases, resistance in the sensor decreases and the detection voltage at the PCM increases.
The BTS is also used for OBD II diagnostics. Certain faults and OBD II monitors are either enabled or disabled, depending upon BTS input (for example, disable purge and enable Leak Detection Pump (LDP) and O2 sensor heater tests). Most OBD II monitors are disabled below 20 degrees F. Well now I know
Bump from the dead !
Why does it appear to be spring loaded ?
Old 05-18-2019, 02:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by BimmerJeeper
Bump from the dead !
Why does it appear to be spring loaded ?
That is the battery temp sensor so my guess is that it actually needs to be in contact with the batter to do its job.
Hence the spring.